This Beef Tips and Rice recipe is made with sautéed onions and a thick and creamy gravy, that is so moist and tender. The flavor combinations will make this meal a family favorite!
If you make this in an Instant Pot, is even easier to make! Because it’s so simple to make, and only needs a handful of ingredients, it’s often part of our monthly meal plan. You only need a few minutes to prep and then the instant pot does the rest for you!
This is the perfect comfort food for those busy nights when you are struggling for extra time. And if you are looking for more easy recipes, you will love Instant Pot Meatloaf and Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak.
What are Beef Tips?
Beef Tips are usually small cuts of meat that come from chuck or sirloin. You can get them from almost any cut of meat. Typically you can find them in the meat section pre-cut for cooking. Or you can purchase your favorite selections of meat and cut them up into bite-sized pieces.
I personally like to use tenderloin or sirloin tips in my recipe, and I like to cut them up at home to save a little money. You can also just grab cut stew meat for this recipe.
A 30 minute Instant Pot Beef Tips Recipe
This is one of our favorite recipes because it doesn’t take longer than 30 minutes of cook time in the Instant Pot. Sauté the onion for 5 minutes, add the beef tips and then manually cook for 25 after adding the other ingredients.
- olive oil
- beef tips
- cream of mushroom soup (or beef broth for a Keto friendly version)
- seasoning sauce- like Worcestershire sauce
I like to use Dale’s seasoning sauce as one of those ingredients, but it might not be available in your area. If you don’t have that available, you can always substitute it for Worcestershire sauce and black pepper.
How to Make Beef Tips and Rice in Instant Pot
First, you will sauté the chopped onions and beef tips for a few minutes in olive oil until lightly browned.
Once finished, add the remainder of your ingredients and then close the lid to seal. Make sure the vent is also set to seal.
Set the Instant Pot on manual and set the timer for 25 minutes.
Once you hear the beep and the time is finished, allow your beef tips to naturally release for about 10 minutes and then carefully manual release the remaining pressure.
If you have the time, let the beef tips and rice naturally release for a full 20 minutes before serving.
- One of the best parts about this recipe is the GRAVY! I love how perfectly the gravy turns out in this recipe. However, if you prefer a thicker gravy, add a little cornstarch to water and mix it into the Instant Pot. Give it a couple of minutes and it will thicken up nicely. Serve over a bowl of rice and ENJOY!
- For more gravy, you can use a brown gravy packet. I like to add an additional pinch of salt for taste.
How do you make slow cooker beef tips?
Not everyone has an Instant Pot, and I totally get that. If you want to make this recipe in a Crock Pot use the same ingredients, and cook on low for 8 hours.
What to serve with beef tips and rice?
What is the best way to make Beef Tips in the Instant Pot?
There are several different ways you can make beef tips and rice in the Instant Pot but I have found that I really like this recipe the best. It doesn’t take long, it’s only 30 minutes of cook time.
The trick is to sauté the onion and beef tips first before the manual cook for 25 minutes. Make sure the meat is browned on all sides before adding the additional ingredients.
Why is this the perfect beef tips recipe?
I have honestly never had beef tips as tender and moist as the ones that I make in the Instant Pot. This kitchen gadget really did take this recipe up a notch in my opinion.
What is the cooking time for Instant Pot Beef Tips?
Because you have to allow time for the instant pot to get under pressure, the actual start to finish cook time for Instant Pot Beef Tips is going to be about 45 minutes. If you are planning on making a side or you need to step away from the Instant Pot while it is cooking, you will have about 40 minutes.
- Skillet Beef and Bean Taco Casserole
- Slow Cooker Beef Stew
- Air Fryer Beef Tenderloin
- Air Fryer Ribeye
- Air Fryer Steak Bites
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
Easy Instant Pot Beef Tips and Rice
- 1 Pressure Cooker
Beef Tips and Rice
- 1/2 medium onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup of Dale’s Seasoning Sauce or 1/3 cup of Worcestershire and 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 large can or 2 small cans cream of mushroom soup
- 2 pounds of sirloin beef tips
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
Beef Tips and Rice Without (sub these items in place of soup)
- 1 32oz beef broth
- 1/3 cup Dales seasoning sauce
- Set Instant Pot to the saute setting. Once warm, add olive oil, beef tips, and onion. Stir and sauté for 5 minutes or until meat starts to brown.
- Add water, Dale’s, and cream of mushroom soup, and garlic powder. Stir to mix well, and then cover with lid.
- Cook on Manual Setting on High Pressure for 25 minutes. It will take a few minutes to come to pressure.
- Once done, allow to naturally release for 20 minutes.
- Serve over rice (or sub noodles or mashed potatoes) and serve with french bread to sop up the gravy.
- To make this Keto friendly, omit the cream of mushroom soup and sub beef broth. Serve over cauliflower rice rather than regular rice.
- Instant Pot Beef Tips the most moist and tender if you sauté with onion for 5 minutes before a manual cook time of 25 minutes.
- Substitute cream of mushroom soup for beef broth and Worcestershire sauce to make this Keto friendly.
- Substitute Dale’s seasoning sauce for Worcestershire sauce and black pepper.
- Add a little cornstarch to the gravy after cooking if you prefer your gravy to be thicker. To do this, turn your Instant Pot on the sauté mode and slowly add cornstarch while whisking to allow it to thicken.
*Nutritional information is a calculated guesstimate. Please note that this can change with different brands and modifications you may make to the recipe. For the most accurate information, use a nutritional calculator with the exact brands and measurements you’re using with each recipe.