Chase away the late winter chill with delicious Cinnamon Nut Squares! Hi everyone, it’s Cindy from Little Miss Celebration! Today, I’m sharing an easy treat that’s as comforting as a warm blanket, plus the house will smell incredible while these are baking. No one will be able to say no to a buttery, cinnamon shortbread crust topped with crunchy, toasted pecans!
February is a tough month, don’t you think? For the most part, it’s still cold, there’s still a chance for a snow and it’s still dark early. Of course, since we recently had a huge snowstorm here in Maryland, I’m kind of hoping Mother Nature forgets about us until next year! Comfort food is always welcome during February and that includes a comforting sweet, too. These cinnamon pecan squares fall right into the comfort sweet category!
This recipe was passed on to me from my mom, and I can tell you my daughter just adores these! I can remember coming home from school on a particularly nasty winter day, walking in the door and getting a lovely whiff of cinnamon sweetness. It didn’t take long for the cold feeling to melt away! These square are very easy to put together. Butter and sugar is creamed until fluffy, and the rest of the ingredients are added. The dough will be thick, but pliable. I think any kind of long baking pan can be used. Just remember that the squares are not very thick and you should be able to make any sized pan you have in your pantry work.
Once the dough is pressed into the pan, the surface is brushed with lightly beaten egg white and sprinkled with pecans. Press the nuts gently into the dough and pop the pan in the oven. These square bake at a low temperature. You can almost smell when they are done! Cut them into squares while they are still hot. The number you get will depend on the size of your pan and how big – or small – you cut them. You should get anywhere between 20-30 crunchy, buttery treats!
Keep cinnamon pecan square in a tightly covered container and they will keep at least a week or more. That is if the family doesn’t gobble them up! These are also delicious warmed a bit with ice cream – or break into a piece and use as an ice-cream topper, to create a fabulous sundae!
Warm up the end of winter with some other cinnamon or pecan sweet treats!
Cinnamon Swirl Cupcakes
Brown Sugar Pecan Popcorn
Baked Rice Pudding
Have a great week!
Cinnamon Pecan Squares
- 1 cup softened butter
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 egg separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or butter vanilla bakery emulsion
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Spray an oblong baking pan with baking spray. I used a 14”x8”x2” pan.
- Cream butter; gradually add sugar and continue beating until mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolk, flour, cinnamon, salt and vanilla. Mix well; dough will be thick.
- Press dough evenly into prepared pan; crust will not be very thick.
- Lightly beat egg white and brush over top of dough.
- Sprinkle nuts evenly over dough and lightly press nuts into dough.
- Bake about 50 minutes or until edges are golden.
- Remove from oven and cut into square while still hot. Let cool and remove from pan with a spatula.
- Store in a tightly covered container; square will keep at a week.
- Store these in an airtight container to keep them for up to a week.