This Crockpot Southwest Chicken Soup is a creamy and chunky chicken soup that is full of southwestern flavors. Make with chicken, veggies, legumes, and more.
I love this recipe and you will too! Serve it with this delicious and easy skillet cornbread recipe.
It’s one of our family favorite recipes, and we even share how to make this a Crockpot freezer meal in the recipe card below.
It’s one of our favorite recipes, and we even share how to make this a Crockpot freezer meal in the recipe card below.
Crockpot Chicken Soup Recipe
This Crockpot Southwestern Chicken Soup recipe made in the Slow Cooker is one of my favorite chunky, creamy, chicken soup recipes. This tasty soup is full of southwest flavors and more filling than traditional chicken soup. It’s the perfect recipe for an easy weeknight dinner.
TIP: You can also make this dish fast by grabbing a cooked Rotisserie chicken and using that instead of chicken breasts.
Made with chicken breast, vegetables, southwest seasonings, and cream cheese. It’s a delicious recipe for an easy meal that my entire family will gobble right up.
This easy recipe can be warmed up the next day, and it also makes the perfect freezer meal. We recommend that it be stored in an airtight container. We have all of the instructions and notes listed below in the full printable recipe card below.
This is one of my favorite recipes to make. It’s the perfect chunky chicken soup to make when you are looking for something a little more filling than traditional chicken soup. Here is what you need to make this recipe:
- chicken breast
- black beans
- chicken broth
- taco seasoning
- cream cheese
How to Make Southwest Chicken Soup in the Crock Pot
- Place chicken, seasoning, corn, black beans, diced onion, diced jalapeño peppers, chicken broth, and cubed cream cheese into the Crockpot. Heat on low for 8 hours.
- I like to layer all of these ingredients by placing the chicken breasts first and then covering with seasoning. Top with vegetables and drained canned beans and corn. Top with cubed cream cheese.
- Make sure to stir the chicken soup occasionally to blend everything together. After about 6 hours of cook time, take two forks and shred the chicken breast. Stir, and then cook an additional hour or two.
Serving Options for Southwest Chicken Soup
I like to serve my chicken soup in a soup bowl over tortilla strips and top with sour cream and cheese. Consider adding these ideas as toppings:
- sliced jalapeno
- juice of lime
- fresh parsley
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- tortilla chips
Can I substitute chicken breasts?
Absolutely! You can use boneless chicken thighs or a Rotisserie chicken.
Can I add additional ingredients to this recipe?
Of course! Add fresh ingredients such as chopped bell pepper, chili powder, or even white hominy.
How do I store this hearty soup?
Store any remaining tortilla soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
I hope you enjoy this delicious soup recipe as much as we do! It also makes the perfect freezer meal. Grab the printable full recipe card and instructions in the card below.
More Recipes You Might Enjoy:
I Would Love to Hear From YOU!
Let Me Know What You Think!
Be sure to leave a review of this recipe and give it a star rating. It lets me know how I am doing and lets others know they should try it!
Do you like Pinterest? If so, follow me on Pinterest where I share all of my favorite recipes!
Tag Me In Your Photos! Are you on Facebook? If so, join the Easy Air Fryer Recipes Group (with hundreds of thousands of Air Fryer Fans!) and share your photos! I love to see your creations. If you’re on Instagram, tag me @pinkwhenjen.
Have a Question or General Feedback?
Jump down to the COMMENT section and let me know! I would love to help and also love feedback on all of my posts.
Crockpot Southwest Chicken Soup
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 15oz can of black beans
- 1 15oz kernal corn
- 1 jalapeno diced
- 1 cup onion diced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 8oz cream cheese
- Prepare Crockpot and heat on low.
- Add chicken, seasonings, vegetables, broth and beans. Cube the cream cheese and add to Crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, stirring occasrionally.
- Shred the chicken in the Crockpot with two forks before serving.
- Serve with your favorite toppings: sour cream, sliced jalapeno, fresh parsley, lime juice, tortilla chips, and shredded cheese.
FREEZER PREP INSTRUCTIONS
- Place all ingredients except cream cheese into a freezer safe bag. Seal and press all air out of the bag before freezing.
- To cook: Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and then place in Crockpot with the fresh cream cheese and cook as instructed above.
- Shred the chicken with two forks while it still remains in the Crockpot to make things easy.
- If freezing, do not place the cream cheese in the freezer. Add the fresh cream cheese to the Crockpot with soup once thawed and ready to cook.
- We love to serve ours over tortilla chips and top with sour cream, cheese, jalapenos, juice of lime, and fresh parsley.