This Crockpot Southwest Chicken Soup is a creamy and chunky chicken soup that is full of southwestern flavors. Make with chicken, veggies, legumes, and more.
It’s one of our favorite recipes, and we even share how to make this a Crockpot freezer meal in the recipe card below.
Crockpot Southwest Chicken Soup Recipe
This Crockpot Southwest Chicken Soup made in the Slow Cooker is one of my favorite chunky, creamy, chicken soup recipes. It’s full of southwest flavor and more filling than traditional chicken soup.
Made with chicken breast, vegetables, seasoning, and cream cheese. It’s one of those recipes that my entire family will gobble right up.
This recipe also makes the perfect freezer meal. We have all of the instructions and notes listed below in the full printable recipe card below.
Ingredients for Southwest Chicken Soup
This is one of my favorite recipes to make. It’s the perfect chunky chicken soup to make when you are looking for something a little more filling than traditional chicken soup. Here is what you need to make this recipe:
- chicken breast
- black beans
- chicken broth
- taco seasoning
- cream cheese
How to Make Southwest Chicken Soup
Place chicken, seasoning, corn, black beans, diced onion, diced jalapeno, chicken broth, and cubed cream cheese into the Crockpot. Heat on low for 8 hours.
I like to layer all of these ingredients by placing the chicken breasts first and then covering with seasoning. Top with vegetables and drained canned beans and corn. Top with cubed cream cheese.
Make sure to stir the chicken soup occasionally to blend everything together. After about 6 hours of cook time, I will take two forks and shred the chicken breast. Stir, and then cook an additional hour or two.
Serving Options for Southwest Chicken Soup
I like to serve my chicken soup over tortilla shells and top with sour cream and cheese. Consider adding these ideas as toppings:
- sliced jalapeno
- juice of lime
- fresh parsley
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- tortilla chips
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do! It also makes the perfect freezer meal. Grab the printable full recipe card and instructions in the card below.
If you make this recipe, let us know what you think! Consider rating the recipe in the card below and leaving us a comment on any changes you make. If you make it, tag us on social media @pinkwhenjen on Instagram and @pinkwhen for Twitter and Facebook.
Crockpot Southwest Chicken Soup
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 15oz can of black beans
- 1 15oz kernal corn
- 1 jalapeno diced
- 1 cup onion diced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 8oz cream cheese
- Prepare Crockpot and heat on low.
- Add chicken, seasonings, vegetables, broth and beans. Cube the cream cheese and add to Crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, stirring occasrionally.
- Shred the chicken in the Crockpot with two forks before serving.
- Serve with your favorite toppings: sour cream, sliced jalapeno, fresh parsley, lime juice, tortilla chips, and shredded cheese.
FREEZER PREP INSTRUCTIONS
- Place all ingredients except cream cheese into a freezer safe bag. Seal and press all air out of the bag before freezing.
- To cook: Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and then place in Crockpot with the fresh cream cheese and cook as instructed above.
- Shred the chicken with two forks while it still remains in the Crockpot to make things easy.
- If freezing, do not place the cream cheese in the freezer. Add the fresh cream cheese to the Crockpot with soup once thawed and ready to cook.
- We love to serve ours over tortilla chips and top with sour cream, cheese, jalapenos, juice of lime, and fresh parsley.