Hello there! Justine from Cooking and Beer to share another recipe with you this month! I’m super excited to be able to do this twice this month. I thought that this boring Wednesday could step up its game, and I think the recipe for this gluten free almond blueberry coffee cake can help with that! I totally realize that this is the second recipe I’ve shared with you that contains both blueberry and almond, but I just can’t help myself. It’s one of my favorite flavor combos for spring. This almond blueberry coffee cake is perfect as we head into prime brunch season, and while it would have been absolutely perfect for Easter Sunday, it’s also the perfect coffee cake for Mother’s Day, Sunday brunch, or just your average Wednesday!
I don’t tend to go gluten free when it comes to sweet treats, and I am super thankful that I don’t have an allergy that prohibits me from eating gluten. That being said, my gluten free cakes tend to turn out so much better than cakes made with wheat flour. They puff up more nicely. They are more tender and airy. They just work, and while I am still working to perfect cakes made with wheat flour, I’m fine with going gluten free where cakes are concerned. Don’t let the fact that this almond blueberry coffee cake is gluten free have you believing it’s any less delicious, though. If anything else, I think it’s even MORE delicious!
Gluten Free Almond Blueberry Coffee Cake
This coffee cake is so simple to make and is on the breakfast table in under 45 minutes, and most of that 45 minutes is baking time. I think the less hands-on work, the better! A simple batter is made by combining essential cake ingredients plus vanilla yogurt for some extra flavor and texture. The batter will be a little thicker than you are used to. Don’t let this scare you. It’s supposed to be this way! You want your coffee cake to be a little on the denser side. Sliced almonds give it some crunch and blueberries give that special tartness that no other berry can provide. This coffee cake is sure to please even the pickiest of eaters!
Recipe for this gluten free almond blueberry coffee cake is below!
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup whole milk
- ½ cup vanilla yogurt
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 cups gluten free all-purpose flour + 1 tablespoon
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder (without wheat starch)
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1½ cup frozen blueberries
- 3 tablespoons raw turbinado sugar
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F and spray a 9" springform pan with a nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg, whole milk, vanilla yogurt and canola oil. Set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together 2 cups of the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, xantham gum and fine sea salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix to combine until just moistened. Do not overmix.
- In a small bowl, combine 1 cup of the blueberries with the remaining 1 tablespoon flour. Fold the blueberries into the batter very gently until dispersed evenly. It is OK if they bleed just a little bit.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and flatten and even out with a spatula. Top with the remaining blueberries.
- In a small bowl toss the turbinado sugar and almonds together. Sprinkle on top of the cake. Transfer the cake to the oven ad bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with just a few crumbs. Remove from heat and let cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Release the sides and transfer the cake to a wire rack to cool the rest of the way.
- Enjoy immediately or cover with plastic wrap and eat within 2 days.