Hi everyone! Amanda from Old House to New Home here sharing a great treat for your kids or for your peanut butter and jelly loving husband! As August approaches, I think we are all realizing that it is almost back to school time! I know for some of you in the South, the starting date is sooner rather than later. Here in PA, we still have about a month left before we are packing lunch boxes, organizing backpacks, and purchasing new school clothes! Add these Peanut Butter and Jelly Granola bars to your menu.
Speaking of packing lunch boxes, these Peanut Butter and Jelly Granola Bars are perfect for sliding in you child’s lunch box as a special, but still nutritious treat! These are also great for after school when your kid comes home ravenous and can’t make it till dinner. I know so many elementary kids eat lunch so early. I know at my school it can be as early at 10:30! These granola bars are reminiscent of everyone’s favorite sandwich, but is protein and fiber packed with healthy oats and natural peanut butter. It is even more portable than a sandwich because you don’t have to worry about leaking squishy jelly.
These bars are also customizable. Have a peanut butter free school? Use any nut butter. Want to add chocolate chips? Go for it! It would be delicious with mini semi-sweet chips! You could also use whatever flavor of jelly your child prefers. We love strawberry and grape in our house, so that is what I stuck with. I like to use no sugar added jelly because it is just sweet enough, but use whatever you have on hand.
Just a note on these bars. They are not super sweet like you would normally find in store bought granola bars. I love them like this and feel good about eating
the whole batch a couple. If you, or your family, prefer your food sweeter, please add a tbsp. or two of sugar or more sweetener like agave or honey. Also, don’t skip the peanut butter drizzle! It really adds the creaminess that you would normally get in a pb&j sandwich! For a little crunch, I used crunchy peanut butter, but again, this is your preference and creamy works fine too!
Peanut Butter and Jelly Granola Bars
- 2 cups quick oats
- 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour AP or Wheat is fine too!
- 2 tbsp. butter melted
- 1/2 cup natural crunchy or creamy peanut butter + 2 tbsp. for the drizzle
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup agave nectar honey, or brown sugar + 1 tsp. for drizzle
- 8 oz. jelly or jam
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line an 8x8 pan with foil. Spray the foil just for extra non-stick insurance.
- In a large mixing bowl add oats, flour, peanut butter, apple sauce, melted butter, desired sweetener, vanilla, and salt. Mix well with a spoon until mixture is well combined and clumps star to form.
- Place half the mixture in the bottom of your prepared pan. Press to spread mixture evenly around the pan. Push the mixture tightly to form a solid crust.
- Top oat mixture with the jelly and spread into an even layer.
- Top the jelly layer with the remaining oats and spread evenly. Press down but don't worry about every little bit of jelly being covered.
- Bake for 20-24 minutes for a soft and chewy bar or 26-20 minutes for a crunchier bar or until top starts to brown and edges feel set.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes in the pan.
- After 5 minutes, lift the foil out and set aside to cool completely. Don't cut until completely cool!
- Once cool put the remaining peanut butter and agave or honey into a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second increments until melted.
- Either pour onto bars or put into a squeeze bottle and drizzle over the bars. Let set.
- Cut bars into equal sized bars. I like to do 8 large bars or you could do 16 smaller bars.
- Bars should be stored in an airtight container either in the fridge or at room temperature. They stay good for 1 week!