Hot chocolate bombs are all the rage these days! This delicious chocolate shell is full of hot cocoa mix, mini marshmallows, and sprinkles if you want. Place the cocoa bomb in a glass of hot milk and boom – you have a delicious glass of hot chocolate.
When it’s cold outside, I love to sit down with a glass of hot chocolate. This year they are made even more fun by the TikTok sensation of hot chocolate bombs.
I also love that these Hot Chocolate Bombs make the perfect Christmas gift idea for the holiday season. Just make sure you store them in a cool place and in an airtight container to keep them fresh.
Looking for a different look? Check out these fun Valentine Hot Chocolate Bombs.
To make these little bombs more fun, you can decorate them in so many different ways and for different holidays. But we’ll get to all of those fun ideas a little further down the page.
If you’re looking to grab this recipe and run, just hit the Jump to Recipe button above, or scroll all the way down to the bottom. You can quickly print the recipe and all of our notes on how to make the best and easiest hot chocolate surprises.
What Do I Need To Make Hot Chocolate Bombs?
Making these cocoa bombs does require you to have the half sphere silicone molds on hand.
Trust me, I tried this with a metal mold, and let’s just say it was failure after failure. Ha!
You could also use a pastry brush to add the melted chocolate to the mold, but you can also just as easily use the back of a spoon.
You’ll also need these ingredients:
- chocolate chips (dark chocolate, milk chocolate, or white chocolate)
- hot cocoa powder
- mini marshmallows
- *optional sprinkles, small candies, etc.
Once you have all of your supplies and ingredients gathered, it’s time to melt the chocolate and get started making these hot cocoa bombs.
If you’re like me and you like to cook, you know you can easily melt chocolate in a few different ways. I’ll share with you my two favorite ways, and if you have another way you like, share it in the comments below.
How do Hot Chocolate Bombs Work?
The fun part of these cocoa bombs is that they work rather quickly and easily. Just place them in a cup and pour hot milk or hot water over them.
When the hot liquid hits the shell, it causes the chocolate to melt and split open and the marshmallows will float to the top. You’re then left with a delicious, rich, and decadent hot cocoa.
What is the Best Chocolate to Use?
I have personally found that chocolate baking chips are the best to use for making these chocolate molds. Not only do the chips melt faster and also cure faster, but the wafers and candy melts don’t taste nearly as good as real baking chocolate.
I like to use Hershey’s baking chips, Ghirardelli, and Nestle baking chips. I’ve also used white chocolate baking chips and they are all delicious.
If you’re going to make these hot chocolate bombs, make sure you are using baking chips rather than wafers or candy melts.
What is the Best Way to Melt Chocolate?
There are two different ways to melt chocolate baking chips. You can use a double broiler method and melt them overheat, or you can place them into a microwave-safe bowl and heat them at half power for 30-second intervals, stirring in between each interval, until melted.
Both of these methods work well for melting chocolate, but I find I prefer to use the boiler method the best. The chocolate chips melt faster and they become creamy quickly.
Either one of these methods will work, so choose the one that works best for you.
How to Make Hot Chocolate Bombs Step by Step
1. Take a minute and make sure the silicone mold is clean and doesn’t have anything on the edges and inside the half spheres. You can do this with a paper towel that’s been dampened with vinegar.
2. Melt the chocolate chips by using the broiler method or the microwave method.
3. Using the back of a spoon or with a pastry brush, carefully add the melted chocolate to the inside of the silicone molds. Make sure you bring the chocolate completely up to the edges. Place the molds into the freezer and allow them to harden for a minute or two.
4. Remove the molds from the freezer and carefully pull on the molds to allow the chocolate to separate from the edges.
5. Take three of the half spheres and fill them with hot cocoa mix and marshmallows. Fill them up as desired. I love chocolatey hot cocoa powder, so I always add a little extra scoop to mine.
6. Take the melted chocolate and coat the edges of the empty half spheres. Add the half sphere to the top of the sphere with the hot cocoa mix and then place them into the freezer for a minute or two to harden into a chocolate sphere.
7. *Optional: Remove the hot chocolate bombs from the freezer and decorate the chocolate spheres with sprinkles, designs, or drizzle on different colors of chocolate.
8. When you’re ready to use them, add the hot chocolate bombs to a glass of hot milk (or hot water depending on the hot cocoa) and watch as it melts and explodes with chocolate and yummy marshmallows.
What Hot Chocolate Mix is Best to Use?
There are several different brands of hot chocolate mix on the market. I love to splurge and use Ghirardelli double chocolate mix. I mentioned above I love choclately hot chocolate, and this is by far my personal favorite.
You can also use Nestle, Hershey’s, and Swiss Miss. Swiss Miss is another of my family favorites!
If you’re really feeling adventurous, you can also make your own homemade hot chocolate mix. You can make it in several different ways. I make mine with milk chocolate chips, cocoa powder, and powdered sugar.
How do You Store Hot Chocolate Bombs?
You can easily store hot chocolate bombs in an airtight container at room temperature. Place them in a cool shaded spot that is not in direct sunlight. The hot cocoa bombs shouldn’t melt unless you are in a warmer climate.
You can also store these hot chocolate bombs in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
How do You Clean the Silicone Molds?
Clean the candy molds in warm soapy water and carefully clean away any remaining chocolate remnants.
Dry the molds with a soft cloth and then store them for later. You can invert the mold and fold it in half for easier storage.
Before each use, dampen a cloth with vinegar and clean the inside of the molds carefully to make sure you’ve removed any remaining particles from the molds before use.
How do You Wrap or Gift a Hot Chocolate Bomb?
I love giving these chocolate bombs as gifts and our friends and family love to receive them, too! There are several different ways to gift these yummy treats. Pick one that if your favorite and works best for you.
1. Wrap the chocolate bomb in clear cellophane, tie a little ribbon around the end, and add a little gift tag to the top.
2. Grab small-sized gift boxes at a craft store or dollar store. Fill the bottom of the gift box with tissue paper, add the chocolate bomb, and then add the lid onto the box. Makes a perfectly cute little gift idea!
3. If gifting multiple chocolate bombs, consider using a larger gift box, or even a little shoebox. Fill the bottom of the box with tissue paper and then place in the chocolate bombs. Add tissue paper around each bomb to keep them in place. Top with the shoebox lid, a bow, a candy cane, and a gift tag.
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY:
- Reindeer Truffles
- Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookies
- Christmas Crack Saltines
- Pretzel Turtles
- Peppermint Cream Cheese Dip
Easy Hot Chocolate Bombs
- Silicone mold
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 3/4 cup hot cocoa mix
- extra chocolate for decorating
- Melt the chocolate chips by using the broiler method or the microwave method.
- Using the back of a spoon or with a pastry brush, carefully add the melted chocolate to the inside of the silicone molds. Make sure you bring the chocolate completely up to the edges. Place the molds into the freezer and allow them to harden for a minute or two.
- Remove the molds from the freezer and carefully pull on the molds to allow the chocolate to separate from the edges.
- Take three of the half spheres and fill them with hot cocoa mix and marshmallows. Fill them up as desired. I love chocolatey hot cocoa powder, so I always add a little extra scoop to mine.
- Take the melted chocolate and coat the edges of the empty half spheres. Add the half sphere to the top of the sphere with the hot cocoa mix and then place them into the freezer for a minute or two to harden into a chocolate sphere.
- Optional: Remove the hot chocolate bombs from the freezer and decorate the chocolate spheres with sprinkles, designs, or drizzle on different colors of chocolate.
- When you're ready to use them, add the hot chocolate bombs to a glass of hot milk (or hot water depending on the hot cocoa) and watch as it melts and explodes with chocolate and yummy marshmallows.
*Nutritional information is a calculated guesstimate. Please note that this can change with different brands and modifications you may make to the recipe. For the most accurate information, use a nutritional calculator with the exact brands and measurements you’re using with each recipe.