A healthy chicken salad with apples and celery is one of my favorites! This chicken salad is made with greek yogurt, Rotisserie chicken, apples, and celery. It’s perfect to serve on salads, croissants, avocados, and much more!
If you like this recipe, you might also enjoy our Copycat Chick Fil A Chicken Salad.
The Chicken Salad with Apples Recipe
When you are on the go and running constantly, sometimes it can be tempting to just head through a drive-thru. I know, because I would do it quite often. A few months ago I decided I was going to get in better shape and eat healthier. This isn’t a fitness or health blog, but I will tell you that health and fitness are very important.
I love to make chicken salad with green granny smith apples. The crisp sweet flavor of apples really helps make this chicken salad mouthwatering. The celery gives it just enough punch that put together with everything else, it’s one of my favorite ways to make a light and healthy chicken salad.
What else do I love? The fact that this recipe is super light. It’s one of my favorite ways to eat chicken salad now that I am a little older and have to be more conscious of what I put into my body.
What to serve with Chicken Salad
I love to serve my chicken salad with a fruit salad, but here are a few other options:
- Grape Salad
- fresh fruits
Classic serving options
Chicken salad can be served many ways, but here are a few of my favorites:
- on a bun – I like brioche buns.
- with mixed greens – any will do.
- on light bread – always a classic.
- on a croissant – definitely a favorite!
- in avocado – when I feel I need to be SUPER healthy. 🙂
Ingredients for Healthy Chicken Salad
You are going to need a few ingredients to make this amazing chicken salad:
- Rotisserie chicken – if you don’t like or have access to a leftover Rotisserie chicken, cook or grill 2 seasoned chicken breasts, or use canned chicken as a last (but easy!) resort
- Mayo -I use reduced-fat light mayonnaise with olive oil
- Greek Yogurt – non fat, plain
- Sweet Apples – I use 2 green Granny Smith apples
- Lemon – I love fresh squeezed lemon juice for this recipe.
- salt and pepper – to taste
- OPTIONAL – toasted pecans, toasted pine nuts, and slivered almonds are a favorite to add when I am eating this on a bed of lettuce.
Next, follow the steps below to make this healthy and delicious chicken salad recipe.
How to Make Chicken Salad with Apples
MIX: In a medium bowl mix chicken, celery, and diced apple well.
Combine: In a separate bowl combine mayo, yogurt, and lemon juice together. Mix well.
ADD: Combine chicken mixture with mayo mixture and stir well until mixed well. Add salt and black pepper to taste.
SERVE: Serve immediately. I like to serve in a fresh Avocado, or over baby spinach salad greens, or as a sandwich with freshly baked bread.
How do you store Chicken Salad?
You can store chicken salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. I love to make extra servings of this recipe and serve it up differently for each of my leftovers.
What’s your favorite way to serve chicken salad? On a salad, bread, avocado, or by itself? I personally like to add my leftover chicken salad to a bed of lettuce and top it with toasted pecans, a few cranberries, and a tbsp of Italian dressing.
It’s so good!
If you are looking for a delicious and healthier version of chicken salad, then give this recipe for a healthy Chicken Salad with Apples and Celery a try.
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY:
You may also like these :
- easy egg salad
- healthy high protein breakfast recipes
- protein-packed salad recipes
- crispy coconut chicken salad recipe
- easy avocado salad
Chicken Salad with Apples and Celery
- 3 stalks celery finely chopped
- 2 1/2 cups Rotisserie chicken cut and cubed
- 2 tbsp reduced fat mayo with olive oil
- 1/2 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup chopped apples I use 2 granny smith apples
- 2 tsp lemon juice fresh squeezed
- avocado for serving
- Mix chicken, celery, and apples.
- In a separate bowl mix mayo, yogurt, and lemon juice. Mix well.
- Combine chicken mixture with mayo mixture and stir well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- OPTIONAL: Slice an avocado, remove the pit, and serve the chicken salad with avocado. It’s so good!
Cher @ Designs by Studio C says
Looks so fabulous and I am definitely adding this one to my list!
Yum! I love using rotisserie chicken in recipes. Especially because we always have leftovers and it’s so good.
I wish I could have lunch at your house!
YUMMMMO! Love these! Having fun cruisin around this blog!
Robyn @ simply fresh dinnes says
Love that you substituted yogurt for most of the mayo – and it tastes so much better! I love the crunch and flavour in this dish. Thanks for sharing!
It was SOOOOO light and delish….I LOVE making this recipe. In fact, there are NEVER any leftovers.
Carrie This Home says
This looks like the perfect summer lunch. I love having a little sweet flavor in chicken salad. Pinning this now!
Dee Williamson says
I’m definitely going to add this to my meal planning ideas! I may even make it this week. So excited to try this! Thanks for sharing!
Cindy Eikenberg says
Hi Jen! I love chicken salad and this sounds delicious – also love serving it in an avocado! Thanks so much for sharing at Best of the Weekend – pinning! Hope you’re having a great Monday and have a happy week!
Chicken Salad is my ALL TIME favorite food. Can’t wait to try this recipe! And the avocado is a must in my book 😉
I’ve been craving chicken salad lately, and this looks delicious!
Becca from It's Yummi! says
It sounds absolutely delicious! I love chicken salad in the summer!
How many servings does this make?
I usually have 4-6 servings with this.
Also yummy with quartered grapes substituted for apples!!
ann cost says
chicken salad recipe looks fabulous. will try today looks like a healthy lunch !
Jane Wright says
I am sure going to try this. Will let you know how I like it. Thanks for the recipe.
Do I have to use mayo?
I haven’t tried it without, but you could always try and just use extra Greek yogurt to make up for it.
I not fond of Greek yogurt. Is there a sub to use.
You could always try a low fat Mayo. 🙂
I made this for lunch today and it was delish!! We added some curry powder to jazz it up a bit and since I only had 1/2 an avocado, I cubed it and added it to the salad and served it in a bowl.
So glad you liked it!
Can you do it without the chicken
You could…but it wouldn’t be chicken salad 😉 What would you use in place of chicken?