This cake balls recipe is one of the easiest and most fun dessert recipes to make. Made from a cake mix, buttercream, and candy melts. They are easy to customize for every holiday or you can make them just because.
Cake balls are a fun, festive treat you can make for any occasion. You can’t go wrong serving up cake balls and they’re oh, so good!
WHAT ARE CAKE BALLS?
Cake balls are dessert truffles that are made with cake mix, buttercream, and melting chocolates for decoration. You can design and make these delicious desserts for any special occasion, or make them just because.
HOW TO MAKE CAKE BALLS
This cake balls recipe is super simple and you can make cake balls in just six easy steps.
1. Make a vanilla cake and add food coloring if desired. Bake, and then allow the cake to cool.
2. Make buttercream frosting.
3. Crumble baked cake and mix well with buttercream frosting.
4. Roll cake and frosting mix into two-inch balls. Line them on a prepared cookie sheet. Refrigerate for a minimum of 45 minutes.
5. Microwave candy melts per instructions. Dip cake balls and place on cookie sheet. Add decorative touches like sprinkles or candy stripes.
6. Allow cake balls to set for at least 30 minutes before serving.
TIPS FOR CAKE BALLS
- Consider adding a small amount of shortening to the candy melts to thin them out and allow for smoother dipping.
- Make sure the cake balls are cooled completely before dipping so you don’t encounter any crumbling.
- Allow the candy melt coating to completely cool before serving so that your cake balls don’t stick together when storing.
CAKE BALL VARIATIONS
I used a vanilla cake mix with food coloring for this recipe, but you can mix and match and change up this cake balls recipe in so many different ways.
- strawberry cake mix with pink candy melts
- chocolate cake mix with white chocolate candy melts
- pumpkin spice cake mix with white candy melts
- lemon cake mix with white candy melts
- white cake mix with chocolate candy melts
Those are just a few different options. You can also create different designs. Consider using:
- edible confetti
- edible gold flakes
- small candies
- candy melt lines (using a small piping tip)
HOW TO STORE CAKE BALLS
Store your sweet desserts in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 10 days. Store them in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. To thaw, place them in the refrigerator for 24 hours before serving.
MORE DESSERTS YOU MIGHT LIKE
- Valentines Day Dessert Truffles
- Turkey OREO Cookie Balls
- Chocolate Truffles
- Easter Nutella Frosting Cupcakes
- No-Bake Strawberry Cloud Cake
- Lemon Cake Mix Cookies
If you enjoyed this recipe we would love for you to rate it. It lets us know what you like and want to see more of.
Cake Balls Recipe
- 1 classic vanilla cake
- 1/4 tsp food coloring divided
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp milk
- 2 1/2 cups candy melts
- Bake cake according to instructions, add food coloring if desired, and allow to cool.
- To make the buttercream, beat together butter, sugar, and milk in a mixer on low speed. Add food coloring if desired.
- In a large bowl crumble cake, add buttercream, and mix well.
- Roll cake mixture into 2-inch balls. Makes approximately 24 cake balls. Place on a lined cookie sheet with wax paper. Place in the refrigerator for a minimum of 45 minutes.
- Place candy melts in microwave-safe bowl and heat in 30-second increments on half power.
- Dip cake truffles carefully and place them back on the lined cookie sheet.
- Allow the cake balls to set for at least 30 minutes before serving or storing.
*Nutritional information is a calculated guesstimate. Please note that this can change with different brands and modifications you may make to the recipe. For the most accurate information, use a nutritional calculator with the exact brands and measurements you're using with each recipe.