This Chicken Enchilada Casserole Recipe is one of my family’s favorite recipes to make. Layers of delicious flavors, cheese, chicken and tortillas make this an easy weeknight meal. Creamy and simple, this chicken enchilada casserole only needs a few ingredients!
Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Casserole Recipe
My family loves Texmex dishes, and this creamy, cheesy, chicken enchilada recipe is one of our favorites to make. You can’t go wrong with a layered casserole versus enchiladas you have to roll and then bake. It’s a delicious and easy time-saving recipe your whole family is sure to enjoy.
You only need a few ingredients on hand to make this chicken enchilada casserole, and the little amount of time it will take to make this will make it one of your all-time favorite recipes. It comes together quickly, which makes this recipe perfect for those busy weeknights.
What Ingredients Do I Need for Chicken Enchilada Casserole?
This layered chicken enchilada casserole is one of my family’s favorite weeknight meals. Here is a quick list of ingredients you will need for this recipe.
- verde enchilada sauce
- shredded cheese
- shredded chicken (pre cooked)
- tomatoes with green chilis
- refried beans
- flour tortillas (torn into bite sized pieces)
- green onion tops (optional)
How Do I Make Chicken Enchilada Casserole
This is the perfect recipe to get the kids involved with when making dinner. It’s a simple and easy recipe and if they are like my youngest, they will love helping you put dinner on the table.
This recipe is really easy to put together and reminds me of a 7 layer dip. You literally layer all of your ingredients together and top it with cheese.
1. Heat oven to 375. Prepare a 9 x 13 baking dish and begin by placing a layer of tortillas on the bottom of the dish.
2. Then add a layer of chicken and 1/4 a cup of the shredded cheese.
3. Add on half a can of tomatoes and green chilies and one can of the Verde enchilada sauce.
4. Finish the layer with a half a can of the refried beans.
5. Then cover with another layer of flour tortilla pieces, and start the layering process again.
6. Once you are finished layering, cover the top with the remaining shredded cheese.
7. Cover with foil, and then bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
8. Remove the foil, add a few green onion tops, and bake for an additional 5 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
9. Allow 10-15 minutes to cool before serving to give the layers time to firm up. Serving any sooner may give you a slightly mushy, but still delicious dinner. 🙂
One of my favorite recipes! It tastes like it took hours, but it is a quick and simple casserole to make.
Chicken Enchilada Casserole Variations
You can make several different variations of this casserole. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Use turkey or ground beef in place of chicken
- Add a layer of sour cream
- Add a layer of cream cheese for an even creamier, cheesier recipe
- Consider adding vegetables such as corn and black beans
Chicken Enchilada Casserole Toppings
There’s more than one way to top this yummy casserole. I like to keep things simple with some green onion tops, but you can change things up and add different flavors as well. Here are a few of my favorites to try:
- sprinkle a thin layer of diced olives
- top with sour cream and cheese sauce
- Add sliced avocados
How to Serve Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Since this chicken casserole is a layered Mexican dish, I like to keep things simple when it comes to the servings and sides. I like to serve with side dishes such as:
- Mexican street corn
- Refried beans
- Spanish Rice
- Pico De Gallo and fresh tortilla chips
Let me know if you get a chance to try this! You can leave a comment below or tag me on Instagram @pinkwhenjen so I can see what you’re making. I love to see others share the recipes that I love and share with you.
Before you go, I would love it if you would rate this recipe in the card below. It lets others know how good the recipe really is, and lets me know what I should continue to make and share with you. If you would like to get these recipes emailed to you on a regular basis, sign up for my recipe newsletter. If you’re looking for other easy meals to make during the week, check out my weekly meal plan. It’s where we share our favorite weekly meal plan ideas.
If you like this recipe, you might also like:
Chicken Enchilada Casserole Recipe
- 2 10oz cans verde enchilada sauce
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 1 lb shredded chicken pre cooked
- 1 10oz can tomatoes with green chilis
- 1 15oz can refried beans
- 6-8 flour tortillas torn into bite sized pieces
- green onion tops optional
- Heat oven to 375. Prepare a 9 x 13 baking dish and begin by placing a layer of tortillas on the bottom of the dish.
- Then add a layer of chicken and 1/4 a cup of the shredded cheese.
- Add on half a can of tomatoes and green chilies and one can of the verde enchilada sauce.
- Finish the layer with a half a can of the refried beans.
- Then cover with another layer of flour tortilla pieces, and start the layering process again.
- Once you are finished layering, cover the top with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Cover with foil, and then bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil, add a few green onion tops, and bake for an additional 5 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Allow to sit for 10-15 minutes to allow to cool before serving. Serving any sooner may give you a soupy, but still delicious dinner.
If you are looking for a new dinner idea and one that doesn’t take a long time to make, then you need to try this delicious chicken enchilada casserole recipe. It’s one of our new favorites, and I hope it will be one of yours, too.