Calling all moms and dads! This simple and hearty Tater Tot Casserole is certain to be a hit. So much so that the kids (and you!) are going to be asking for it again very, very soon. With so many delicious ingredients, it provides layers upon layers of great taste.
And if you love simple dinner ideas, don’t miss out on this Easy Cheeseburger Casserole as well. Casseroles are a great way to prep a hearty meal that can feed quite the crowd!
If your kids are anything like my kids, they love tater tots. Absolutely love them. But I have a bit of an issue when they just eat loads of them, without any other substance to go along with it. Every once in a while is okay, but all the time? Nope. This is where I have to step in.
Once I whipped up this Tater Tot Casserole with Corn, they were hooked and sold on the thought process that eating them as a meal isn’t so bad after all. In fact, their exact words were “great!” after taking just one bite.
WANT TO KNOW WHAT’S FOR DINNER EVERY NIGHT? CHECK OUT OUR FREE WEEKLY MEAL PLANNER.
This Tater Tot Hotdish Recipe is one that will get two thumbs up from the family without any doubt in my mind at all.
If you love all things casseroles, try this yummy chicken taco casserole. It’s awesome for meal prepping and leftovers.
TATER TOT CASSEROLE
What you’ll find with this Cheesy Tater Tot Casserole recipe is that it’s a great lunch or dinner recipe that can quickly be made. We make this quite a bit during the school year or as a great way to have a hot dinner on the table fast.
If you’re looking for a simple meal that will fill bellies fast, you’re not going to want to miss out on this easy Tater Tot Casserole recipe.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO MAKE TATER TOT CASSEROLE
Here are the list of ingredients needed to make this delicious, hot dish recipe.
- Olive oil
- 1 lb Lean Ground beef
- 1/2 cup Bacon
- Sour cream
- Kernal corn
- Cream of mushroom soup
- Green onion tops
- Monterrey jack cheese and cheddar cheese
- Ground black pepper
- Onion powder
- White pepper
- Package Frozen Tater Tots (I use Ore Ida)
- Salt and pepper to taste
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
This casserole recipe isn’t hard but photos always help when making things!
Heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare your 9 x 13 inch baking dish with non stick cooking spray.
Add olive oil and the lean ground beef to a medium sized skillet and cook over medium high heat until beef is browned. Remove from heat. Drain and set the beef mixture aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the corn, soup, beef, sour cream, seasonings, 1 cup of cheese, and 2 tbsp of the green onion tops, and the crumbled and cooked bacon. Mix well.
Pour the beef mixture into a prepared 9 x 13 baking dish. Sprinkle a little extra cheese on top.
Cover the beef and cheese mixture with tater tots. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
Bake uncovered in the oven for 50 minutes, or until the tater tots are cooked and golden brown.
Add the remaining cup of cheese, green onion tops, and remaining crumbled bacon to the casserole and place in the oven for an additional 5 minutes of cooking time or until the cheese is melted.
If you have leftovers, save them and store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, place the leftovers in a microwave-safe bowl and cover them before heating.
FAQS and alternatives
How long do you cook Tater Tot Casserole for?
With the oven heated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, the cooking time for the casserole is 50 minutes.
How do you know when the tater tots are done baking?
Follow the timeframe listed on the recipe card for baking this simple dish and keep an eye on the top of the tater tots. Once they start to crisp and turn brown, it should be a very good sign that this casserole is ready to be pulled from the oven.
Why is my tater tot casserole dish runny?
When you pull it from the oven, it’s going to be runny. As it cools down, it will thicken up a bit on its own. Just give it a few minutes to cool down if you’re wanting it to be a bit thicker. You can also add a tablespoon of flour to the mixture before cooking and this will help the dish to thicken.
What are some casserole substitutions I can make?
What I love about this casserole is that you can change it up really easily! You can substitute the above seasoning for taco seasoning, add green beans, and substitute cream of chicken soup instead. You can also add chopped yellow onion and remove the onion powder for an even chunkier version.
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY:
If you love this easy casserole recipe as much as we do, you might also enjoy these other casserole recipes, too!
- 30 Minute Taco Casserole Recipe
- One Pot Chicken Parmesan Casserole
- Easy Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- King Ranch Chicken Casserole
- Air Fryer Frozen Tater Tots
Tater Tot Casserole
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef, cooked
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 15 oz kernel corn, drained
- 10 oz cream of mushroom soup
- 4 tbsp green onion tops, divided in half
- 1 cup shredded Monterrey jack cheese halved
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese halved
- 1/2 cup bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 32 oz bag of Frozen Tater Tots I like Ore Ida
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add olive oil and the lean ground beef to a medium-sized skillet and cook over medium high heat until beef is browned. Remove from heat. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the corn, soup, beef, sour cream, seasonings, 1 cup of cheese, 1/4 cup bacon, and 2 tbsp of the green onion tops. Mix well. Pour the beef mixture into a prepared 9 x 13 baking dish. Sprinkle a little extra cheese on top. Cover the beef and cheese mixture with tater tots. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake uncovered in the oven for 50 minutes, or until the tater tots are cooked and golden brown. Add the remaining cup of cheese, green onion tops, and bacon to the casserole and place in the oven for an additional cooking time of 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Serve warm.
- Don’t be afraid to play around with this recipe! Add in a small can of drained green beans, substitute in cream of chicken soup, add a diced onion, and even add in some Italian seasoning.
- Store remaining leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat leftovers in a covered microwave safe bowl as desired.