This King Ranch Chicken is one of those recipes you will make over and over again. This recipe is super simple to make with only eight ingredients, but it tastes as if you ordered it straight out of a restaurant kitchen. The King Ranch Chicken is rich and loaded with bold flavors of onion and chilis layered between tender chicken and creamy cheese.
KING RANCH CASSEROLE RECIPE
This is one of those recipes you make and wonder why you haven’t made this more often. The mouthwatering flavors are second to none and will curb any hunger with ease.
The picture doesn’t even begin to do it justice! Creamy cheese and bold flavors from peppers and chilis are what sets this King Ranch Casserole a part from others.
The best part about this recipe is that it’s quick and easy to make and generally disappears quickly! It’s also a great recipe to throw together on the fly because I generally have all of these ingredients on hand.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH KING RANCH CASSEROLE
King Ranch Casserole can be served with several different options. The flavors are delicious and you can easily eat this all by itself. King Ranch Casserole tends to have a Mexican flair so I like pair it with sides that fall into the same spectrum:
CLASSIC SIDE DISHES TO SERVE WITH KING RANCH CHICKEN
- Spanish rice
- refried beans
- chips and salsa
- 7 layer dip
HOW TO MAKE KING RANCH CHICKEN CASSEROLE
This recipe reminds me of seven layer dip because you are creating layers when you make the casserole. King Ranch Casserole is pretty straightforward, but leave me any questions in the comment section below.
CAN YOU FREEZE KING RANCH CHICKEN?
This recipe makes a great recipe to make ahead and freeze for a later date. It’s a perfect meal to double or triple and have saved freezer meals for the future.
TO FREEZE KING RANCH CASSEROLE BEFORE COOKING IT
Use a freezer safe foil container and create the recipe per instructions in the recipe card below, all the way up until the instructions require you to place the casserole into the oven. Cover with foil and then freeze.
When you are ready to cook, place the casserole in the oven and bake following the instructions in the recipe card.
HOW DO I STORE KING RANCH CHICKEN IN THE FRIDGE?
Store any leftover King Ranch Casserole in an airtight container for up to 3 days. The good news is it probably won’t even last that long before the family gobbles it up!
LEFTOVER RECIPE IDEA FOR KING RANCH CHICKEN
I love recipes that can be made into other recipes. It makes eating leftovers even better, which is a win/win in my house.
- King Ranch Chicken Sandwich – Reheat the leftover King Ranch Casserole. Warm up a Ciabatta roll and serve the King Ranch Casserole on a bun. Top with a tomato and additional cheese for even more flavor.
We love to make this casserole at our house.
If you do get a chance to make it, I would love it if you let me know! You can leave me a comment below. It makes my day to see others enjoying the recipes that I share!
Oh and before you go!… If you need a regular rotation of recipe inspiration like me, make sure to bookmark EverythingIsChicken.com. We love to update you weekly on all of the yummy chicken recipes we make.
If you liked this recipe, you might also like:
King Ranch Chicken Casserole
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 onion diced
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 1 10oz cream of chicken soup
- 2 chicken breasts cooked and cubed
- 1 10oz tomatoes with chilis
- 2 cups cheese
- 8 tortillas torn into bite sized pieces
- Heat oven to 350. In a medium saucepan, melt butter and sauté onion and bell pepper for 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the cream of mushroom soup and 1/2 cup of cheese and set aside.
- Layer a 9 X 13 baking dish with flour tortillas torn into bite-sized pieces. Add the chicken, spread the soup and cheese mixture and top with tomatoes and chilis. Repeat to make two layers.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and top with remaining cheese. Bake uncovered for 10 minutes or until cheese is fully melted.
- Serve immediately.
- Makes a great freezer meal. To freeze, use a freezer safe container and layer the casserole according to instructions. Cover with foil and freeze. To warm, place in oven on 350 and bake for 50 minutes. Add cheese and bake for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
*Nutritional information is a calculated guesstimate. Please note that this can change with different brands and modifications you may make to the recipe. For the most accurate information, use a nutritional calculator with the exact brands and measurements you’re using with each recipe.