Chicken Taco Casserole is a family-friendly dish that is perfect for a hearty, filling dinner. This wholesome meal is made with boneless skinless chicken breasts, seasoned to perfection, and covered with cheese while baking atop a bed of crushed tortilla chips. Not only that, but it’s one of our favorite family-friendly dinners.
I am a huge fan of easy weeknight dinner recipes and this chicken casserole dish is one of our favorites. This delicious recipe is definitely “comfort food” you should add to the list when you’re meal planning for the week.
If you’re looking for more casseroles like this, you might also enjoy this ground beef taco casserole.
To make this dish you will need to have a few things on hand:
- boneless skinless chicken breasts
- shredded cheese
- green chilies
- taco seasoning mix (I use a Homemade Taco seasoning)
- sour cream
- green onion
- cream of chicken soup (I use Campbell’s)
- diced tomatoes
- crushed tortilla chips
WANT TO KNOW WHAT’S FOR DINNER EVERY NIGHT? CHECK OUT OUR FREE WEEKLY MEAL PLANNER.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN TACO CASSEROLE
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and prepare the baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Add the crushed tortilla chips to the bottom of the baking dish.
3. Place the chicken on top of the chips and then cover the chicken with Taco Seasoning. (Find my favorite homemade taco seasoning here!)
4. Add the green chilies to the chicken then cover the dish with the soup.
5. Add the diced tomatoes, and then cover with foil. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
6. Remove the foil for the dish. Then topping with shredded cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese. Bake for an additional 10 minutes.
7. Remove from the oven and top with sour cream and green onions.
You can also add toppings such as black olives, green chiles, and diced jalapenos for even more added flavor.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CHICKEN TACO CASSEROLE
This is one of our favorite recipes and there are a lot of things to serve with it. I like to add different sides, especially if I am meal prepping for the week. This is a great recipe to work with.
- refried beans
- spanish rice
- Mexican street corn
- black beans
- Mexican corn salad
And don’t forget to make some sopapillas for dessert!
If you’re looking to change things up before baking, you can also easily make substitutions.
1. If you don’t have boneless skinless chicken breasts, grab a premade Rotisserie chicken from the store. Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces (about 2 cups) and then make the casserole as instructed. Change the cooking temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. If you are using premade shredded chicken, use the same recipe steps as stated in the recipe card and lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. Add more vegetables by adding in corn, black beans, and even small diced carrots.
4. Skip the crushed tortilla chips at the bottom of the casserole and substitute for small pieces of flour or corn tortillas.
How to Serve Chicken Taco Casserole
There are different ways you can serve this chicken casserole and I will share with you a few of my favorites.
I love to make this dish and save the leftovers for meal prepping I can use for lunches during the week. Here are a few ideas to switch the servings up for more options.
(Here is a quick and easy guide to meal planning if you need help!)
1. Serve scooped out of the dish and then top with your favorite guacamole and salsa for flavor.
2. Shred the chicken and serve with toasted and buttered corn tortillas with a side of your favorite beans.
3. Shred leftover chicken casserole and serve them in taco shells for some amazing chicken tacos.
4. Serve on a bed of lettuce and topped with salsa.
5. Over a bed of brown rice and topped with shredded lettuce, fresh grated cheese, and salsa.
6. Served over cooked quinoa and topped with salsa.
There are so many different ways to serve this dish and I honestly haven’t found one bad way to serve this yet. You just can’t go wrong with this recipe!
It’s why it’s one of my favorites for meal prepping.
How to store leftovers
You can store leftovers in several different ways. If storing for the week, save any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat leftovers when you’re ready.
You can also freeze this chicken casserole but I receommend freezeing this recipe without the toppings. Deforst in the refrigerator overnight before adding the toppings and cook as directed.
I hope you and your family enjoy this dish as much as we do. It’s one our favorite weeknight meals because it’s delicious, easy, and makes some of the best leftovers.
If you’re looking for more casseroles, you might also like this list of casseroles below.
MORE CHICKEN CASSEROLE RECIPES
- Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Chicken Parmesan Casserole
- King Ranch Chicken Casserole
- Chicken Enchilada Quinoa Casserole
Chicken Taco Casserole
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 oz diced green chilies
- 10 oz diced tomatoes
- 4 tbsp taco seasoning
- 10.5 oz cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups crushed tortilla chips
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and prepare the baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add the crushed tortilla chips to the bottom of the baking dish.
- Place the chicken on top of the chips and then cover the chicken with Taco Seasoning. (Find my favorite homemade taco seasoning here!)
- Add the green chilies to the chicken then cover the dish with the soup.
- Add the diced tomatoes, and then cover with foil. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil for the dish. Then topping with shredded cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese. Bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with sour cream and green onions.
Genevieve | Fitty Foodlicious says
Chicken taco casserole sounds perfect for NYE!
This looks so delicious and tasty! I can’t wait to give this a try! My family is going to love this!
I hope you love it as much as we do! 🙂
So glad i found this recipe today, definitely making it over the weekend, anything with the word taco in the title is a winner in my household.
Jere Cassidy says
Can’t wait to make this casserole. I like easy weeknight meals like this and I always have these ingredients on hand. Iove using the crushed tortilla chips for that flavor and crunch.
I love easy weeknight meals too, and this is seriously easy. You’ll love how packed full of flavor it is, too.
Claudia Lamascolo says
My husband loves Mexican food and Chicken is what he orders with whatever entree! This is going to be his new favorite!
Yay! I hope he loves it as much as we do.