This Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken is one of my favorite BBQ Chicken recipes. Made with chicken breasts, brown sugar, BBQ sauce, and just the right amount of seasonings. This recipe is a big hit at our house and I bet your family will love this recipe as much as we do!
You might also want to check out this great list of Freezer Crockpot Meals with printable shopping list. Meal prepping saves time and money!
THE SLOW COOKER BBQ CHICKEN RECIPE
My family truly enjoys this recipe. We love to use Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ sauce when making any BBQ. It’s always one of our go-to ingredients. This Crock Pot BBQ Chicken is one of my favorite easy Crock Pot meals.
It only takes 5 minutes of prep time and 3-4 hours of slow cooking to have a delicious BBQ dinner.
I love to use boneless skinless chicken breast with this recipe, but you can also use chicken thighs. If using frozen chicken breasts, make sure the chicken is fully heated through. Add additional cook time and use a temperature gauge to make sure it is cooked evenly throughout.
I love to make this recipe in the Spring and Summer when I don’t want to heat up the oven. But I will make this recipe any time I am craving slow cooker BBQ chicken. The flavors are amazing and there are so many different serving options.
You can also skip to the bottom of this post and grab the full written recipe. I’ve added notes about all of my favorite serving options. You can also check out the video below.
WHAT INGREDIENTS DO I NEED FOR SLOW COOKER BBQ CHICKEN
There are a few different ways you can make this Crock Pot BBQ Chicken Breast recipe. I have found these ingredients and steps to be the easiest and most flavorful.
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Beef broth
- Brown sugar
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Cayenne pepper
- Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ sauce
You might be asking yourself “beef broth?” The answer is YES. I use 1/2 cup of beef broth with this recipe because the flavors mixed with all of the other ingredients are amazing. I also don’t have to add any additional seasonings such as salt and pepper.
RECIPE FOR SLOW COOKER BBQ CHICKEN
This slow cooker bbq pulled chicken is made with just a handful of ingredients. The best part is that it can be put together in just 5 minutes.
- Line the bottom of the Crock Pot with chicken breasts.
- Top the chicken with garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne pepper.
- Pour in beef broth around the chicken.
- Top the chicken brown sugar.
- Cover the chicken with the barbecue sauce.
- Cook for 3-4 hours on high.
- Shred the chicken and serve as desired.
This Crockpot BBQ Chicken does not have to cook on high. You can also cook this chicken on the low setting if you need it to cook a little longer.
HOW TO SERVE SLOW COOKER BBQ CHICKEN
Shredded BBQ Chicken just like barbecue pulled pork can be served in several different ways. I have typically shredded the chicken and served on buns, but here are a few different ways you could serve this recipe.
- shredded and over rice
- shredded and in tortillas
- Serve over a baked potato
- Serve classicly on a bun and topped with cole slaw
I also like to serve my shredded bbq chicken with classic side dishes such as:
- Corn on the cob
- Mashed potatoes
- Cole Slaw
- Potato Salad
- BBQ Baked Beans
HOW TO STORE SLOW COOKER BBQ CHICKEN
I like to store any additional leftovers in an airtight container. You can store this recipe for up to 3 days in the refrigerator and in the freezer for up to a month. To reheat, thaw in the refrigerator and reheat in the oven or on the stovetop.
MORE RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY
If you love this recipe as much as we do, you might also enjoy these additional recipes.
- Crock Pot Chicken Thighs
- Slow Cooker Ranch Chicken
- Grilled Stuffed Chicken Breast
- Instant Pot Crack Chicken
- Instant Pot Hawaiian Chicken
- Crock Pot Chicken Spaghetti
If you try this recipe and love it as much as we do, we would love for you to rate the recipe card below. This not only lets us know what we should share more of, but it also lets our other readers this is a great recipe to try. Not only that but if you’re on Instagram, tag #pinkwhenjen and let us see your recreations. We love to see what our readers are making.
Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken
- Slow Cooker
- 3 chicken breasts
- 18 oz barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Line the bottom of the Crock Pot with chicken breasts.
- Sprinkle onion powder, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper over the chicken.
- Pour beef broth around the bottom of the chicken.
- Top chicken with light brown sugar.
- Cover the chicken and seasonings with barbecue sauce.
FREEZER MEAL INSTRUCTIONS
- Add all ingredients (minus the BBQ sauce) to a freezer safe bag. Remove all air before sealing and storing in the freezer. This recipe is freezer safe for up to 3 months.
- To cook: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Add bag ingredients to the Crock Pot and top with BBQ sauce. Cook as instructed above.
- I like to use Sweet Baby Ray’s barbecue sauce for all of my barbecue recipes.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 7-8 hours.
- If using frozen chicken breasts, make sure to add additional cook time as needed to get the internal temperature to 165 degrees Fahrenehit.
- Once the chicken is fully cooked, shred the chicken and serve as desired.
- We like to serve our Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken shredded on buns and topped with cole slaw. You can also serve this chicken in tortillas, on a baked potato, over rice, and more.
- Freeze for up to 3 months in an airtight sealable freezer safe bag.
*Nutritional information is a calculated guesstimate. Please note that this can change with different brands and modifications you may make to the recipe. For the most accurate information, use a nutritional calculator with the exact brands and measurements you’re using with each recipe.