Apple Hand Pies are a quick and easy dessert that the entire family enjoys. Not only that, but they are made so quick and easy because there are just two simple ingredients. Check out how easy it is to make these Apple Hand Pies.
If you love quick and easy desserts, you might also enjoy this 2 Ingredient Fudge.
I love to make homemade pies, and I love to make desserts in my Air Fryer. Our Air Fryer has made life super simple, so I am going to share exactly how to make these apple hand pies and you’ll be gobbling them up in no-time at all.
I love to make desserts, and I REALLY love to make desserts that everyone enjoys. Sometimes I don’t want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen creating, so it’s nice when you come across a simple recipe that is just two ingredients.
Looking for a more savory snack? Check out these easy Air Fryer Pizza Rolls.
What Ingredients Do I Need?
These mini apple hand pies are so quick and easy with the Air Fryer, but you can also easily bake these mini pies if you don’t have an Air Fryer. Here is what you will need:
- Pie crust – I chose premade for this recipe to make things simple and easy.
- Apple Pie Filling – I chose canned for this recipe because again, it’s quick and easy.
Can you use a homemade pie crust for this recipe? Absolutely! I share this recipe with the easy ingredients because there are nights when I want a last minute dessert and I want it fast. But if I have time during the day, I will absolutely make this with homemade ingredients.
If you’re in a hurry and need to grab this recipe quickly, head down to the bottom of this post and print out the quick and easy recipe card. It will have all of our tips and tricks and relevant noted summarized in one place for you.
If you’re not in a hurry, keep reading for more information on how to make these awesome hand pies.
How long do they take?
One of the reasons I like to use premade ingredients and an Air Fryer is because these little pies can be made and ready to eat in less than 10 minutes from start to finish. So if you’re looking for a quick and easy dessert with just a few ingredients and little time to make, this is the perfect recipe.
How to Make Mini Apple Hand Pies
To make these little mini pies you will need to gather your pie crusts and the pie filling and set them aside. I also like to use this little hand pie maker. You can order it and you can find them in almost any craft stores baking section.
- To get started, use the back of the hand pie maker and cut the circles into the dough.
- Place the dough on top of the hand pie maker.
- Scoop the apple pie filling into the middle of the hand pie maker.
- Flip one end of the maker and then carefully seal the edges.
- Remove the hand pie from the maker and repeat.
- Preheat the Air Fryer to 380. Add a piece of parchment paper to the air fryer basket or spray the basket with non stick cooking spray.
- Add the Apple Pies to the basket and then cook for 6 minutes, flipping the apple pies after 3 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Don’t have a hand pie maker mold ready on hand? No problem! Use a bowl and use a knife to cut around the edges of the dough. Scoop the apple pie filling into the center of the dough.
Beat an egg in a small bowl and then brush the edges of the dough with the egg wash. This will help seal the edges if you don’t have a pie mold. Then fold the edges together, and use a fork to seal the edges. Bake according to the instructions above.
Don’t have an Air Fryer? No worries! Keep reading and we will tell you how to make these without an Air Fryer.
Can I use other fillings?
Absolutely you can use other fillings! One of the things I like about this recipe is that you can change it up as much or as little as you want. Looking for different flavors, try some of these:
You can make so many delicious hand pies and they are all quick and easy to make with this simple 2 ingredient recipe.
Do I Need an Air Fryer for this recipe?
You do not need to have an Air Fryer in order to make this hand pie recipe. You can also easily bake these mini apple pies in the oven. To bake these apple pies, here is all you need to do:
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Follow the instructions to make the actual hand pies, but add in an additional step. Beat an egg in a small bowl and use a pastry brush to brush the egg wash lightly around the edges of the hand pies before mashing the edges together with a fork.
- Place the hand pies on a baking sheet and brush the top of the pies with the egg wash.
- Bake in the oven for 22-25 minutes, or until the pies are golden brown.
- Serve immediately.
If you’re using an Air Fryer for this recipe, you will make the hand pies so much quicker!
What Air Fryer Should I Use?
The Ninja Foodi is a grill and has several different options. It’s also called an air crisper, and you can learn more about that here. I like this for larger projects. You can open the top and check on what’s cooking, and you can also use the temperature probe and never undercook or overcook anything again.
The Cosori has a basket, is an actual air fryer, and makes it easy to shake things around while cooking. The handle on the basket makes removing the basket easier, and it’s very easy to clean. Each works very well and I use them both with this big family of mine. I can have them both working and have dinner done FAST.
They both really do work great and I love to use them on an almost daily basis. One last thing I would recommend with whichever air fryer you choose, make sure to get some basket liners. They are amazing and help make cleanup a breeze!
Are apple hand pies breakfast or dessert?
One of the questions I get often for this recipe are can you eat these for dessert and breakfast? And the answer is an astounding ABOSLUTELY! 🙂 Ha! These mini hand pies are perfect for dessert and perfect with a cup of coffee or with a glass of milk for a sweet treat at breakfast. There is nothing wrong with making these yummy pies any time you want.
How do you store them?
If you are making a large batch of apple hand pies you will want to store the leftovers to keep them nice and fresh. Place them into an airtight container and place them into the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat the apple pies, place them on a microwave safe plate and heat them for about 20-30 seconds, but do so in 10 second intervals so that you don’t overheat the pies and cause them to burst at the seams.
LOOKING FOR MORE?
Looking for more quick and easy desserts? Here are a few others you might also enjoy:
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Make sure you click on the social media share buttons and share it with your friends on Facebook and Pinterest. If you make this recipe and have Instagram, make sure to tag us at @pinkwhenjen. We love to see it when our readers make our recipes!
Don’t forget to rate this recipe! It lets us know what we should keep sharing and lets our readers know what they should try next! Thanks for taking the time to visit us here at PinkWhen! You can also find us and follow us on Facebook and Pinterest. Want more recipes? Make sure to sign up for our newsletter below the recipe card.
Apple Hand Pies
- 1 can Apple pie filling
- 2 pie crusts I like Pillsbury boxed crusts
- Preheat the Air Fryer to 380 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut circles into the pie dough using a hand pie mold or a bowl and a knife. Scoop the apple filling onto the dough.
- Fold the dough over in the mold and seal. Continue until you've used all of the pie dough. About 3-4 pies.
- Add parchment paper to the Air Fryer before placing the hand pies, or spray the Air Fryer with non stick cooking spray. Cook for 6 minutes, turning the pies about halfway through the cook time.
COOKING HAND PIES WITHOUT AN AIR FRYER
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut the dough with the hand pie mold or using a bowl and a knife. Scoop the apple pie filling on the dough and then fold and seal the edges.
- Bake in the oven for 22-25 minutes or until golden brown.
MAKING HAND PIES WITHOUT THE PIE MOLD
- If you don't have a pie mold, use a bowl to cut circle into the pie dough and then a knife to trim around the bowl.
- Beat an egg in a small bowl and brush the edges of the dough circles with the egg wash.
- Scoop the pie filling into the middle of the pie dough. Fold over the dough. Use a fork to pinch and seal the edges.
- Air Fry or bake the hand pies as instructed above.
- Save any remaining hand pies in an airtight container and place them into the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Serve the hand pies all by themselves, or add them to a bowl with a scoop of ice cream.
- Consider using different pie fillings such as lemon, blueberry, strawberry, cherry, and more.