The smell of chocolate gingerbread cupcakes baking in a warm and cozy kitchen has me all giddy to share them with you. These gingerbread cupcakes are not only delicious, but your house is going to smell amazing for hours after baking them.
If you are ready for cowl neck sweaters, warm fires, and delicious desserts – then read on as I share how to make the most epic chocolate gingerbread cupcakes, EVER.
How to Make The Most Epic Chocolate Gingerbread Cupcakes[/caption]
Most of you know that I live in Louisiana. That means that our “winter” time doesn’t last too terribly long. (Like maybe five weeks!)
That also means I have to soak up all of the cold air and sweater weather I can in a short amount of time.
Gingerbread cupcakes are best with a glass of cold milk!
Easy Chocolate Gingerbread Cupcakes
What I like most about this gingerbread cupcakes recipe is that you make it with your favorite chocolate cake mix.
You can make these cupcakes from scratch, but using a cake mix is such a huge time saver.
You add all of the ingredients for the cake mix, along with ginger, molasses, and cinnamon.
How do I make these awesome Gingerbread Cupcakes?
Yes, please! I will take THREE!
Only 8 Ingredients:
Here is what you will need for the cupcakes: (scroll to the bottom for the entire recipe card)
- chocolate cake mix
- vegetable oil
Gingerbread Cupcakes from a Cake Mix
Gingerbread cupcakes with cinnamon cream cheese frosting
These cupcakes do taste amazing all on their own, but adding a little cream cheese frosting will put them over the edge to fabulous!
This cinnamon cream cheese frosting is to die for.
Like this recipe? PIN IT to one of your favorite boards! Follow PINKWHEN on Pinterest!
Ingredients for the frosting:
- powdered sugar
- cream cheese
- heavy cream
- vanilla extract
Ingredients for Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
How to Make Gingerbread Cupcakes
To get started, preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- PREPARE – prepare the cupcake pan by lining it with cupcake wrappers or spraying with a non-stick spray. In a large bowl, prepare the cake mix according to the instructions on the box.
- MIX: add in the molasses, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves and stir until well combined.
- SCOOP: scoop the cupcake batter into the liners, filling them about ½ way full.
- BAKE: bake for 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
- COOL: completely cool before adding the frosting.
How to Make Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
- MIX: In a large mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, cinnamon and vanilla extract, and mix until nice and creamy.
- ADD: Slowly, add in the powdered sugar a little bit at a time. Then, add the heavy cream a tablespoon at a time, mixing well between. Keep adding the heavy cream until the desired consistency has been reached, either for spreading or piping.
- FROST: Place the frosting into a pastry bag and fit it with your favorite piping tip to frost the cupcakes. Decorate with cinnamon sticks before serving.
If you have any leftover cupcakes, store them in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
MORE RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY:
If you love these gingerbread cupcakes as much as we do, you might also enjoy these other holiday desserts:
- chocolate chip eggnog bars
- red velvet cake mix cookies
- holiday pretzel snack mix
- Peppermint cream cheese dip
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Make sure you click on the social media share buttons and share it with your friends on Facebook and Pinterest. If you make this recipe and have Instagram, make sure to tag us at @pinkwhenjen. We love to see it when our readers make our recipes!
Don’t forget to rate this recipe! It lets us know what we should keep sharing and lets our readers know what they should try next! Thanks for taking the time to visit us here at PinkWhen! You can also find us and follow us on Facebook and Pinterest. Want more recipes? Make sure to sign up for our newsletter below the recipe card.
Gingerbread Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 chocolate cake mix and ingredients needed for cake mix
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3-4 tbsp heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare cupcake pan by lining it with cupcake wrappers or spraying with a non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, prepare the cake mix according to the instructions on the box. Then, add in the molasses, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves and stir until well combined.
- Scoop the cupcake batter into the liners, filling them about ½ way full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center, comes out clean.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- Prepare the frosting: In a large mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, cinnamon and vanilla extract, and mix until nice and creamy.
- Slowly, add in the powdered sugar a little bit at a time. Then, add the heavy cream a tablespoon at a time, mixing well between.
- Keep adding the heavy cream until the desired consistency has been reached, either for spreading or piping.