Good gravy this dessert recipe is good. Trust me on this one…you’re not going to want to pass up a chance to make this delicious Apple Dump Cake. And as the name suggests, it’s basically “dumping” in some simple ingredients, baking it, and shoveling it in your mouth! This is one cake recipe that you’re absolutely going to love.
Make certain to check out our Easy Strawberry Dump Cake recipe as well. Because why stop at one fruit flavor when you can easily enjoy them both?
There’s just something so freeing about baking something that doesn’t have to look overly beautiful. Don’t get me wrong…I love a perfectly baked and decorated cake. But I also love being able to combine the ingredients of this dump cake recipe and enjoy knowing that it’s going to taste amazing even when it’s “dumped” together.
I also love the fact that it’s minimal effort and drizzled with caramel as well. Call me simple but this is my kind of cake!
APPLE DUMP CAKE
There’s never a wrong time to make this simple cake recipe but I find that during the fall months when the apples are prime for picking does tend to deliver a stellar taste and flavor. Just choose the type of apple that you want to use and start with the simple process of putting it all together!
If you would rather skip the step of fresh apples, you can also just use two cans of apple pie filling. This recipe is just easy and amazing no matter what you do to it.
Are you in a rush? Scroll down to the bottom of this page and grab the full printable recipe card. It has all of our tips and tricks and notes for this recipe. If you’re not in a rush, then definitely keep reading!
INGREDIENTS YOU NEED
- Apple: I used a granny smith apple, but use your favorites!
- Apple Pie Filling: It saves a little extra time for this recipe.
- Butter : I use salted butter for this dump cake.
- Caramel topping : I love to use Ghirardelli
- Yellow cake mix: again, use your favorite moist cake mix.
APPLE PIE FILLING DUMP CAKE
These photos will show you how to make this delicious homemade cake.
A delicious and easy dump cake with apple pie filling.
- HEAT OVEN.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Peel, slice, and dice one apple. Add the apple to the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
Pour the can of apple pie filling over the top of the sliced apples.
Drizzle caramel topping over the apple mixture.
Cover the apple and caramel mixture with cake mix.
Add butter by drizzling 3/4 cup of melted butter over the cake mix.
Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes.
Once this dish is baked, it’s time to scoop and serve.
Remove from oven and serve with vanilla ice cream and drizzle with more caramel topping.
Like this recipe? PIN IT to one of your favorite boards! Follow PINKWHEN on Pinterest!
APPLE DUMP CAKE FAQS
You’re going to want to use apples that have a crunch and a strong taste. Pink Lady apples or Honeycrisp would work great because of their crunchy texture. And if you want this recipe to be a little bit tart, Granny Smith apples are a good choice, too.
You can! If you want to vary up the taste of this recipe, try using a chocolate mix or another type of mix when you make it next time. This is a simple change that can really alter the flavor and outcome of this dessert.
Absolutely! If you want to use fresh apples rather than pre made pie filling, add 1/2 cup water, 1/2 tsp allspice, 1 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp brown sugar, and 1 tsp cinnamon into a medium saucepan on the stovetop. Cook and simmer for about 5 minutes. Add 4-5 peeled and sliced apples and allow to simmer, stirring occasionally for an additional 5 minutes. Add to the baking dish, cover with cake mix, caramel, and butter and cook as directed.
This is one of my favorite recipes and I can make it all year long, but it is perfect for fall. The warm and inviting flavors and the cooler temps are what makes this recipe perfect for that time of year. Add a little scoop of ice cream and drizzled caramel and you’re all set!
If you have any other fun recipe ideas for this dump cake recipe, leave it below in the comments. We’re always looking for feedback or great ideas for all of you!
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY:
If you love this easy cake recipe as much as we do, you might also enjoy these other recipes, too!
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Make sure you click on the social media share buttons and share it with your friends on Facebook and Pinterest. If you make this recipe and have Instagram, make sure to tag us at @pinkwhenjen. We love to see it when our readers make our recipes!
Don’t forget to rate this recipe! It lets us know what we should keep sharing and lets our readers know what they should try next! Thanks for taking the time to visit us here at PinkWhen! You can also find us and follow us on Facebook and Pinterest.
Apple Dump Cake
- 1 apple
- 21 oz Apple Pie Filling
- 1/2 cup caramel topping
- Yellow cake mix
- 3/4 cup melted butter
- Heat the Oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Take the apple and peel, cut, and dice it into small chunks.
- Pour the can of Apple Pie filling over the fresh apple.
- Drizzle caramel topping over the apple mixture.
- Cover the apple and caramel mixture with cake mix. Drizzle 3/4 cup of melted butter over the cake mix.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes. The top should be golden brown and the apples should be bubbling up on the sides.
- Remove from oven and serve vanilla ice cream drizzled with caramel sauce.
- If you want to use fresh apples rather than pre-made pie filling, add 1/2 cup water, 1/2 tsp allspice, 1 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp brown sugar, and 1 tsp cinnamon into a medium saucepan on the stovetop. Cook and simmer for about 5 minutes. Add 4-5 peeled and sliced apples and allow to simmer, stirring occasionally for an additional 5 minutes. Add to the baking dish, cover with cake mix, caramel, and butter and cook as directed.
- If you want to skip the fresh apples altogether, use (2) 21oz. cans of apple pie filling and this recipe will be even faster to put together.
- Store remaining leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.