Creamy and delicious, these homemade air fryer crab rangoons have a rich, silky, cream cheese center full of lump crab meat and are seasoned with green onions, garlic, salt, and pepper. The crab filling is then encased in a wonton wrap that is air fried to a crisp golden brown with just the right amount of crunch. Perfect as an appetizer or as a dinner, these crab rangoons are so good they rival even the best Chinese restaurants!
Homemade crab rangoons are a simple and yummy appetizer, snack, or even a light meal! They’re really simple to make, and you won’t believe how crispy they can get! They’ll undoubtedly be a hit with everyone! The crispy exterior and mild, creamy interior complement one another perfectly. Air Fryer Crab Rangoons may be the best air fryer recipe you’ve made yet!
Why You’ll Love These Homemade Air Fryer Crab Rangoons
- Authentic taste! These crab rangoons are simple to make and full of flavor without dripping in grease.
- The air fryer crisps the wonton wraps beautifully and warms the crab filling to that perfect melty goodness!
- Great batch recipe! You can make a large batch of these crab rangoons and freeze them for a quick party appetizer or snack!
- A great choice for families with children. The entire family will want seconds.
- Savory and sweet flavors that are better than takeout.
Ingredients You’ll Need To Make Air Fryer Crab Rangoons
- Wonton wrappers
- Cream cheese
- Lump crab meat
- Chopped green onions
- Minced garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil spray
- Air fryer
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Small bowl
- Tongs to remove cooked wontons
- Serving dish
How to Make Homemade Air Fryer Crab Rangoons
Step 1. Preheat the air fryer to 370 degrees Fahrenheit.
Step 2. Combine cream cheese, green onions, crab meat, salt, pepper, and garlic in a small bowl. Stir to mix well.
Step 3. Place the wonton wrappers on a flat surface.
Step 4. Add 1 tsp of crab filling into each of the wrappers. Do not overfill the wrappers.
Step 5. Fold each wrapper into a square. In order to do this, you need to grab the opposite corners and pinch them into the middle, making sure they are sealed. This will make the base of the wonton square.
Step 6. Place the sealed crab rangoon into the basket of the Air Fryer.
Step 7. Air fry at 370 degrees Fahrenheit for 9-10 minutes, or until the wonton wrappers have turned a nice golden brown.
Step 8. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
If, by chance, you have any leftover crab rangoons, wrap them individually in plastic wrap and store them in an airtight container for 2 to 3 days in the refrigerator.
To reheat leftover rangoons, follow the same procedure outlined above but decrease the cooking time to 6 to 8 minutes or until heated through at 350°F.
Can I freeze crab rangoons?
Yes! Freeze premade crab rangoon wontons on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Once frozen solid, store them in a freezer bag. When you are ready to cook frozen crab rangoons, simply put frozen rangoons in the air fryer. No thawing is required. Add a couple of minutes of cooking time to adjust to them being frozen.
You can freeze your crab rangoons cooked. They do tend to reheat better if you freeze them before you air fry them, but they will still taste just as good if you are freezing ones that you made already.
Tips For Making the Best Homemade Air Fryer Crab Rangoons
- Do not overfill your wontons! More than 1 tablespoon in one wonton will cause it to explode while frying.
- When you seal the wonton, get as much air out of it as possible. The wonton will expand in the air fryer if there is too much air, resulting in it exploding.
- Before sealing, dampen the edges of your wontons with water to achieve a better seal.
What To Serve/Pair With Air Fryer Wontons
For a sweet dessert that the whole family will love, try these oh-so-good Nutella Buttercream Cupcakes!
Air Fryer Homemade Crab Rangoons FAQs
I can only find imitation crab meat at my local grocery store. Will it work just as well as lump crab meat?
Yes! Imitation crab meat, which is often less expensive and easier to come by than genuine lump crab meat, would work beautifully.
Can I use my oven instead of the air fryer for this recipe?
Yes! Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line the baking sheet with crab rangoons and bake for 15 to 18 minutes. Keep in mind that while they will still be delicious, they will not be as crispy as if they were deep-fried or cooked in the air fryer.
Why do my crab rangoons pop open in the air fryer?
If you find that your wontons are popping open in the air fryer it’s because they were not sealed correctly. Use water or an egg wash to coat the edges of the wontons and seal them firmly.
I am not a fan of crab at all, can I leave out
Of course. If crab isn’t your thing, just totally omit it from the recipe, and you will still have some yummy cream cheese rangoons!
Are crab rangoons gluten-free?
No. Traditional wonton wrappers are wheat-based, which is not gluten-free.
Why are my wonton wrappers not turning brown in the air fryer?
Remember to spray your wontons well with olive oil spray before putting them in the air fryer. This will ensure your crab rangoons are deliciously brown and crispy!
Don’t forget to come back and let me know how your homemade crab rangoons turned out in the air fryer!
MORE AIR FRYER RECIPES:
I Would Love to Hear From YOU!
Let Me Know What You Think!
Be sure to leave a review of this recipe and give it a star rating. It lets me know how I am doing and lets others know they should try it!
Tag Me In Your Photos! Are you on Facebook? If so, join the Easy Air Fryer Recipes Group (with hundreds of thousands of Air Fryer Fans!) and share your photos! I love to see your creations. If you’re on Instagram, tag me @pinkwhenjen.
Have a Question or General Feedback?
Jump down to the COMMENT section and let me know! I would love to help and also love feedback on all of my posts.
Air Fryer Crab Rangoon
- 21 wonton wrappers
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 4 ounces lump crab meat
- 4 Tablespoons green onions chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil spray
- Preheat the air fryer to 370 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine cream cheese, green onions, crab meat, salt, pepper, and garlic in a small bowl. Stir to mix well.
- Place the wonton wrappers on a flat surface.
- Add 1 tsp of crab filling into each of the wrappers. Do not overfill the wrappers.
- Fold each wrapper into a square. In order to do this, you need to grab the opposite corners and pinch them into the middle, making sure they are sealed. This will make the base of the wonton square.
- Place the sealed crab rangoon into the basket of the Air Fryer.
- Air fry at 370 degrees Fahrenheit for 9-10 minutes, or until the wonton wrappers have turned a nice golden brown.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.