Slow Cooker Turkey Chili made in the Crockpot is one of my favorite easy ways to make delicious chili. This hearty Crockpot Turkey Chili is made with lean ground turkey, beans, garlic, seasonings, and more.
We love our chili recipes and this beef version of Slow Cooker Chili is one of our many favorites.
Crockpot Chili is one of my favorite ways to make chili. It’s such a simple and easy way to cook a delicious chili without having to simmer over the stove and stir for hours on end.
I really love it when dinner is already made for me and all I have to do is pop it out of the freezer and into my Crock Pot. If that’s you, too, you might also enjoy this meal planner for Crockpot Freezer Meals.
It’s a total game changer.
HEALTHY TURKEY CHILI
This slow cooker turkey chili is packed full of protein and is delicious to boot! Made with lean ground turkey, black beans, pinto beans, and chili beans, you’re getting a TON of protein.
I also love the fact that there isn’t any tomato juice or tomato paste in this chili recipe. It’s just good old fashioned lean ground turkey, beans, and the perfect blend of seasonings for a hearty meal with just enough spice.
Healthy and easy? You can’t get any better than that. Just precook the turkey and you’re almost done with this easy chili recipe.
Let it simmer all day to let the flavors marry and you will be super happy you did.
You definitely need a few ingredients for this recipe. Just remember you can grab the entire printable recipe card with all of our notes and instructions at the end of this post.
Also, you can skip down to the section about turkey chili variations. There are several different ways you can make turkey chili and we have tried to cover most of them in this post.
Here are the ingredients you will need for our turkey chili recipe:
- olive oil: to add to the skillet before cooking the turkey.
- ground turkey: we like to use 99% lean ground turkey.
- black beans: make sure they are rinsed and drained.
- chili beans: added flavor and protein.
- pinto beans: lots of added protein.
- diced tomatoes: added for flavor.
- minced garlic: fresh garlic makes everything better.
- white pepper: for a little extra kick.
- black pepper: a little extra spice.
- red pepper flakes: extra, extra flavor.
- chili powder: you can’t have chili without chili powder.
- onion powder: or if you love chunky, substitute with 1/2 small diced onion.
- vegetable broth: for the liquid, but if you like tomatoes, use tomato sauce.
- sugar: it works well with the heat of the seasonings to make the flavors perfect.
I opted to use white pepper in this recipe so it makes this a semi spicy chili. But don’t worry, it’s not too much spice. It’s just enough to give it the perfect blend of flavors everyone will rave over.
HOW TO MAKE SLOW COOKER TURKEY CHILI
This Crockpot Turkey Chili recipe is as easy as cooking the turkey, adding the seasonings, and cooking in the Slow Cooker.
It comes together fast and dinner will be ready when you are. Check out how easy this recipe is to make:
ADD: Add olive oil to a medium sized skillet. Then add the ground turkey and cook on medium heat until cooked fully through.
SEASON: Add the minced garlic, sugar, and seasonings to the turkey meat and mix well. Remove from heat and set aside.
MIX: Add the chili beans, black beans, pinto beans, diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, and cooked turkey with seasonings to the slow cooker and stir to mix well.
COOK: Cover and cook the turkey chili on high for 4 hours or on low for 6 hours.
Serve this hearty chili topped with your favorite garnishments like cheese, sour cream, green onion tops, sliced jalapeños, and more.
We have a great list of toppings and sides further down in this post.
Turkey chili is just like every chili and can be made with different variations. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Add a 15oz. drained can of corn to the slow cooker before cooking.
- Substitute the onion powder for a freshly diced onion.
- Add a diced green pepper or 2oz. of diced green chilis for even more flavor.
- Add 8oz. of tomato sauce in place of vegetable broth.
Remember that Slow Cookers can cook a little differently. We use a large 8qt Crockpot for all of our slow cooker meals.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CHILI
Trust me when I say that you won’t need anything else to go with this turkey chili. It is THAT GOOD all by itself.
However, I consider myself the queen of additions when it comes to chili so I have a few suggestions for you when it comes to added toppings and what to serve with chili.
Here are a few of my favorite toppings for chili:
- sour cream
- cheddar cheese
- green onions
- sliced jalapeno
- sliced avocado
- diced green chilis
- hot sauce
SIDES TO SERVE WITH CROCKPOT TURKEY CHILI
Not only that, but chili can be served with sides, too! If you’re having a big gettogether, plan on serving some sides and appetizers to go along with this Crockpot Turkey Chili. Here are a few of our favorites:
SLOW COOKER TURKEY CHILI FAQs
Each bowl of our turkey chili is about 400 calories, before adding in cheese, sour cream, or any other optional toppings. If you’re looking for a recipe light on calories but strong on flavor, this is it!
Absolutely! If you decided to make turkey chili without beans, I would alter this recipe by using 2 lbs of lean ground turkey and add in chopped diced onion and bell pepper for a more hearty flavor.
If you would rather use raw turkey I would modify the recipe accordingly. Add the ground turkey to the crockpot and cook on high for 3 hours or until fully cooked. Add seasonings, beans, and broth and finish cooking as directed.
You can freeze leftover turkey chili in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
You can pre-make and freeze this turkey chili ahead of time. Brown the meat, add the sugar, seasonings, and minced garlic and cook until mixed well. Set the turkey mixture aside and allow it to cool. Once cooled, place the turkey chili, beans, and diced tomatoes (minus the vegetable broth) into a freezer safe bag and freeze for up to 3 months. To heat, thaw the turkey mixture in the refrigerator overnight. Place the turkey mixture into the slow cooker, add the vegetable broth, and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 6 hours.
IF YOU LIKE THIS TURKEY CHILI RECIPE YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
- The Best Chili Recipe
- Crock Pot White Chicken Chili
- Instant Pot Crack Chicken Chili
- Instant Pot Chili
- Instant Pot Chili Mac
- Instant Pot Chicken Chili
Don’t forget about the cornbread! You’ll need a good recipe for cornbread to go with this chili, and this skillet cornbread is one of our favorites.
Like this recipe? PIN IT to one of your favorite boards! Follow PINKWHEN on Pinterest!
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Make sure you click on the social media share buttons and share it with your friends on Facebook and Pinterest. If you make this recipe and have Instagram, make sure to tag us at @pinkwhenjen. We love to see it when our readers make our recipes!
Don’t forget to rate this recipe! It lets us know what we should keep sharing and lets our readers know what they should try next! Thanks for taking the time to visit us here at PinkWhen! You can also find us and follow us on Facebook and Pinterest. Want more recipes? Make sure to sign up for our newsletter below the recipe card.
Slow Cooker Turkey Chili
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 15 oz black beans rinsed, drained
- 15 oz chili beans
- 15 oz pinto beans
- 15 oz diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp red pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp sugar white, granulated
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- cheese optional
- sour cream optional
- green onions optional
- Add olive oil to a medium sized skillet. Add turkey and cook on medium heat until cooked through.
- Add the minced garlic, sugar, and seasonings to the turkey meat and mix well. Remove skillet from heat and set aside.
- Add the chili beans, black beans, pinto beans, diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, and cooked turkey with seasonings to the slow cooker.
- Cook the turkey chili on high for 4 hours or on low for 6 hours.
- Scoop turkey chili into bowls and serve with toppings such as cheese, sour cream, and green onions.
FREEZER MEAL INSTRUCTIONS
- Brown the lean ground turkey meat, add the seasoning, sugar, and garlic following the instructions above and then allow it to cool.
- Place the cooled turkey mixture into a freezer-safe container with the beans and diced tomatoes. Remove the air, seal, and freeze for up to 3 months. (Do not freeze with the vegetable broth.)
- When ready to cook: Remove the bag from the freezer and allow it to thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Pour the ingredients into the slow cooker and add the vegetable broth. Cook as directed.
- Want turkey chili without the beans? Modify this recipe. Add an additional lb of turkey, 1/2 cup diced onion, and a 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper to give it the same hearty feel.
- Think this recipe has too much spice? You might want to use half of the required white pepper or omit it altogether.
- Looking for additional toppings? I love shredded cheese, sour cream, green onion tops, guacamole, jalapenos, hot sauce, and more,
- Need sides? Consider serving this chili with sides such as quesadillas, hot wings, baked mac and cheese, 7 layer dip, cornbread, and more.
- FREEZE IT: Freeze leftover turkey chili in an airtight container for up to 3 months.