Have you ever wanted to get that awesome Buttercream Frosting recipe that your grandma made, but never received it because it was lost along the way? Well guess what I am sharing today…it’s THAT recipe. This Old Fashioned Vanilla Buttercream Frosting recipe is so delicious and tastes just like I remember. Thanks to my mother’s friend Carol who passed this down and shared it with us. Now I get to share it with all of you!
How to Make Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
When my mom and I made these delicious Red Velvet Cookies a few weeks ago, we wanted to make them into cookie sandwiches. I didn’t have a great Buttercream Frosting recipe that I just LOVED, and Carol had shared her favorite with my mom. Needless to say, we were hooked after trying it.
You can never go wrong with a delicious tried and true buttercream frosting, and if you like to bake, this is one you will want to keep on standby.
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting Recipe
Buttercream Frosting Recipe
- vegetable shortening
- softened butter
- confectioners sugar
How to Make Buttercream Frosting
In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and shortening with an electric mixer. Add vanilla.
Gradually add in sifted confectioners sugar, one cup at a time beating on medium speed.
Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all of the sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk and beat at medium speed for 3 minutes.
Keep icing covered with a damp cloth until ready to decorate. For best results, keep icing bowl in refrigerator when not using.
Icing can be stored in an airtight container for up to a week. Just re-whip it in your mixer before using it. Makes 3 1/2 cups.
Can it be stored?
You can make this buttercream frosting a few days ahead of time and use it on a later date, up to a week later. Make sure you store it in an airtight container and keep it cool in the refrigerator. When you’re ready to use it, bring it up to room temperature and whisk it for a few minutes to get it light and fluffy.
If you enjoyed this frosting, you might also like:
- Homemade chocolate truffles
- Candy cane cream cheese dip
- Chocolate Chip Eggnog Bars
- Easy Nutella Frosting
Grandmas Old Fashioned Buttercream Frosting
- 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 5 cups confectioners sugar
- 3 Tbsp milk
- Buttercream Icing Recipe
- In a large mixing bowl cream butter and shortening with electric mixer. Add vanilla.
- Gradually add in sifted confectioners sugar, one cup at a time beating on medium speed.
- Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all of the sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk and beat at medium speed for 3 minutes.
- Keep icing covered with a damp cloth until ready to decorate. For best results, keep icing bowl in refrigerator when not using.
- Icing can be stored in an air tight container for up to a week. Just re-whip it in your mixer before using. Makes 3 1/2 cups.
I hope you enjoy this Old Fashioned Vanilla Buttercream Frosting recipe as much as we have. I can’t wait to make this over and over this holiday season while we are making and baking all of our holiday desserts. Do you have a favorite recipe you like to use?