Appetizers are the best part of parties, they are easy to make and so much fun to eat. This Hot Crab Dip is one of my favorite easy appetizers to take to parties. Everyone raves about it and asks for the recipe – so here I am sharing this crowd-pleaser with you.
This is not a diet food for sure and you will eat more than your fair share but the good news is that crab is a great source of protein. You can make it ahead of time but wait and put it in the oven until about 30 minutes before you head out, it tastes best warm.
You can add as much Tabasco as you like. A little goes a long way with this perfect party appetizer.
It is likely that this easy crab dip recipe will be eaten quickly, but if you take it to a party, don’t leave it out in room temperature for more than 2 hours. While you can reheat Hot Crab Dip I suggest not putting it in the refrigerator for more than two days. I suspect it won’t last that long though.
You can find the full recipe at the bottom of this post. Print it and all of the notes, tips, and tricks to make this total crowd-pleaser.
What you need to make Hot Crab Dip
- Cream cheese (softened)
- Regular Sour Cream
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Grated white onion
- Jumbo Lump crab meat (freshest crab meat or from a can)
- Seafood seasoning (like Old Bay Seasoning)
- Lemon juice
- Chopped parsley
- Green onion tops
- Fresh ground black pepper
Be sure to grab jumbo lump crab meat and not imitation crab meat at your grocery stores. You can find the cans of crab in the canned meat section of your store, near the cans of tuna. You can find fresh lump crab meat at the seafood counter.
Lump crab meat is great for a variety of recipes including casseroles, salads, and of course, hot dips. The light flavor is not too fishy and blends well with the cheese to make a delicious dip. It’s one of my favorite recipes.
Old Bay seasoning is a favorite seafood seasoning and it’s perfect in this amazing crab dip.
I like to serve this hot creamy dip with tortilla chips but you can serve it with so many things including pretzels, crackers, pita bread, and celery. Those are just a few options, have some fun and be creative with your serving dish.
Don’t forget to add a splash of lemon juice and a few dashes of hot sauce before serving.
It’s the perfect appetizer that can be served in so many different ways.
How to make Hot Crab Dip
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Put cream cheese, mayonnaise, and sour cream into a medium mixing bowl and stir until creamy. Add remaining ingredients and stir again until well combined. Transfer into a 9×13 casserole dish.
- Bake in oven for 25 to 30 minutes until browned and bubbly.
- Top with fresh parsley or green onion tops.
- Serve with crackers, baguette slices, pita chips, or tortilla chips. You can also serve it in a bread bowl for more appeal.
You’ll love this delicious, creamy crab dip. It’s perfect as an appetizer to serve at parties or even for the super bowl.
Can you freeze this Hot Crab Dip?
I do not recommend it, it is better to eat this fresh within a couple of hours of taking it out of the oven.
Is canned crab real crab meat?
Yes! It is from 100% wild-caught crabs and is cooked and canned.
How can you tell if crab meat has gone bad?
The best way is to smell the crab, if it has a sour smell or just smells strong and not like crab then it is bad. You can also look for a slimy texture and discolor. Throw away and bad crab meat as it can make you very sick.
MORE APPETIZER RECIPES:
Cheesy Hot Crab Dip
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup mayonaisse
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp white onion grated
- 12 oz lump crab meat
- 1 tsp seafood seasoning Old Bay
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 2 tbsp parsley finely chopped
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- a few shakes of Tabasco Hot Sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place cream cheese, mayonnaise, and sour cream in a medium mixing bowl and stir until creamy. Add 1/2 cup shredded cheese and remaining ingredients and stir again until well combined. Transfer to a 9 x 13 baking dish and transfer to oven.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Add the remaining shredded cheese and cook 5 additional minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and melted for a total cook time of 30 minutes.
- Serve with crackers, baguette slices, or tortilla chips.
Leave a Reply