Happy Friday fellow PinkWhen readers! It’s Justine from Cooking and Beer to share one of my all time favorite holiday-themed recipes with you! Let’s be honest here. While most of this time of year is dedicated to all things cookie baking, appetizers are kind of a big deal too! It’s time to get those serving platters out, bust out the guacamole recipes, and get those appetizers on the table. It’s also the best time of year for entertaining! This baked brie with sweet red pepper jam is the perfect appetizer to add to your Christmas and holiday party spreads.
I seriously love this time of year. My better half and I entertain all season long, and in addition to serving up my favorite holiday cookies and pies, I love whipping up a good appetizer. From sliced cheese and crackers to the most perfect fondue, the holiday season is all about the appetizers. Christmas aside, gameday parties and New Year’s Eve are basically two days that appetizers were meant for. Such appetizers don’t have to be difficult either. This baked brie with sweet red pepper jam is just one such appetizer recipe. It is seriously the easiest dish ever.
Baked Brie with Sweet Red Pepper Jam
I have been recipe testing for Christmas and the holiday season since the beginning of November. This is when this baked brie was born. It’s a twist on traditional baked brie. The sweetness from the homemade red pepper jam and the crunch from the pine nuts really compliments the extreme savory notes that you get with a good brie. It’s the perfect match. Oh, and this baked brie’s main two colors are red and green! I promise I didn’t plan that.
While the baked brie itself is the star of the show in this recipe, the homemade sweet red pepper jam completes it. It is made up mostly of…yup you guessed it…red peppers. A little bit of sugar sweetens it up and some red wine vinegar gives it the tang. If you really want to make this dish simple, feel free to buy a store-bought version. I promise I will not be offended. There are some really great ones out there! This delicious jam is dolloped on top of brie cheese that has been baked in a 375 degree F oven for 15 minutes. Top with toasted pine nuts and a sprinkle of parsley. It’s melty, gooey and utter perfection.
Recipe for this baked brie with sweet red pepper jam is below!
P.S. The rosemary are sprigs are not necessary, but do liven things up! Don’t you think?!
Baked Brie with Sweet Red Pepper Jam
Baked Brie with sweet red pepper jam.
- FOR THE RED PEPPER JAM
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 red bell peppers stemmed and seeded, diced small
- salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- FOR THE BAKED BRIE
- nonstick spray
- small wheel of brie cheese
- 1/4 cup red pepper jam
- 1 tablespoon toasted pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley for garnish
- For serving: crostini crackers, pita bread
- In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the red bell peppers and season with salt and black pepper. Cook until the peppers are tender, about 6 minutes. Stir in the vinegar, sugar, honey and mustard seeds. Bring to a slight boil and then reduce the heat to simmer. Simmer for 20-25 minutes or until thickened and most of the liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat and let stand at room temperature until you are ready to serve, or place it in a jar and seal tightly. Place in the fridge where it will keep for about 2 weeks.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F and spray a baking dish or small cast iron pan with nonstick spray. Place the brie in the pan, and then place the pan in the oven. Bake the brie for about 15 minutes or until softened. Remove from heat and immediately dollop with red pepper jam. Garnish with toasted pine nuts and fresh parsley.
- Enjoy immediately with crostini, crackers or pita bread.
I really hope you guys enjoy this recipe. Add it to your holiday party menus!
xoxo – Justine