When it comes to making holiday meals for potluck parties, I am always trying to think of something that is easy and so delicious that I bring an empty casserole dish home. With this Homemade King Ranch Chicken Casserole, it usually completes both of those requirements.
Made with fresh tortillas, this King Ranch Chicken casserole is one of our favorite weeknight meals.
The King Ranch Chicken Recipe
King Ranch Chicken is one of our favorite chicken casserole recipes. It’s quick and easy to put together and that flavors are simply amazing.
It’s also a perfect dinner idea for those busy weeknights. You can easily throw this together and have it baking while tending to other activities.
How do I Make King Ranch Chicken?
You will need a few things on hand to make this King Ranch Chicken Casserole.
- cream of chicken soup
- cream of mushroom soup
- tomatoes with green chilies
Sauté the onion in butter to soften it up, and then place in a medium sized mixing bowl. Add soups and 1/4 cup of cheese and mix well.
Begin layering your baking dish with bite-sized tortilla pieces, soup mixture, chicken, and tomatoes and chilies. You should have enough to make two layers.
Cover in foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and top with remaining cheese and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
What to serve with King Ranch Chicken Casserole
- refried beans
- spanish rice
We hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do. It’s an easy casserole that is a favorite here at our house. If you like this King Ranch Chicken, you might also like:
Homemade King Ranch Chicken Casserole
- 2 cooked and cubed chicken breasts
- 2 10oz cans Tomatoes and Green Chilis
- 1 10.5oz can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 10.5oz can Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 medium onion
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 10 count package flour tortillas (torn into bite sized pieces)
- 2 cup package Mexican Cheddar Jack shredded cheese
- If you haven't already, cook your chicken breasts by boiling them in water for 20 minutes, or until juices run clear when cut into. Then cube and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350. Chop the onion into small pieces and saute in 1/4 cup butter over medium heat for 5 minutes or until slightly translucent. Turn heat down to low and add both cans of soup, stirring until mixed well. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a prepared 9 x 13 baking dish place a layer of tortillas to cover the bottom of the dish. Add a thin layer of tomatoes and green chilis, a thin layer of the soup mixture, a thin layer of chicken, and top with cheese. Add another thin layer of tortillas, tomatoes and green chilis, soup mixture, chicken, and cheese. Keep doing the layers until you run out of space, finally covering the dish with the remaining cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven on 350 for 45 minutes, or until cheese is turned a golden brown. Allow to cool before serving.
- Make this casserole ahead over the weekend as a meal prep dish without baking. Can be stored 3-4 days before baking.